Default Tropilaelaps clareae

"Tropilaelaps clareae is a medium-sized, elongated, active, light, reddish-brown mite native to Asia and parasitic on Apis dorsata."

"This mite does not stay on the adult bees as much as V. jacobsoni [destructor] but often moves freely on the combs. T. clareae has relatively primitive, unspecialized chelicerae and is therefore incapable of piercing the membranes of adult bees to obtain food(Griffiths,1988). Thus, this species is phoretic on adults but depends on the brood for feeding."

I believe that "phoretic" means moves about on, is transported on, is carried by.

"The damage to A. mellifera is quite severe(Burgett and Akratanakul 1985)." It takes fewer T. clareae to do the damage that V. Jacobsoni do.

It is widely distributed throughout Southeast Asia.

"In areas of the world where there is a seasonal break in brood rearing, these mites apparently cannot survive." Apparently wintering in the north, where there is a broodless period, or removal of queens from hives for a period of time long enuf for all the brood to emerge, would be a way of "control". Since the T. clareae can't live very many days w/out feeding and feeds only on bee brood.

The above quotes are from "Honey Bee Pests, Predators, & Diseases" Third Edition Edited by Roger A. Morse and Kim Flottum 1997. Does anyone know if there is a more recent and updated edition?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Default Re: Tropilaelaps clareae

Mark, I did a google search for Tropilaelaps clareae in Australia, and the latest information posted was dated 2005, which is quite out of date I should think.

Found an interesting article here about a study of the mite in Pakistan:
    http://www.culturaapicola.com.ar/apu..._camphor_1.pdf

Seems like, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the greatest danger is the mite gets to Australia, and via bee importation from Australia, to the US. Just what I need, another challenge!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Is there a petition going around to stop importing aussie bees? If so, I would like to sign it and help spread it, if not, I will start one.
    Lets do something about this.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    the greatest danger is the mite gets to Australia, and via bee importation from Australia, to the US. Just what I need, another challenge!
    Regards,
    Steven
    Michael Palmer reported on the National Bee Survey Thread that they are already in Australia.

Of course. We've gotten used to varroa, n. cerana and shb. We're due for another challenge.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."