Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

When to harvest honey

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bsweet 
#1 ·
I have a honey super with 4 frames of capped honey. Should I remove the frames and extract the honey or should I wait until the entire super is full? Any suggestions?:s

#3 ·
The honey that is capped right now is probably a lighter, milder honey from spring and summer, if you leave it on the hive until all the frames are filled and capped (which may or may not happen), then extract, you will most likely get some darker honey from fall flowers mixed in, its up to you. John

#4 ·
Last year I waited and we had a dry spell and the bees ate the super honey. While this is good for the bees it is not good for me. This year i have been pulling frames and putting in replacements until I extract. I have extracted twice and don't regret it. Pife

#5 ·
If you wish to wait until later to harvest just mark the four frames ready now and extract them first then keep that honey seperate from the other possible darker honey or just let it all mix , its really your call but lighter honey often has a milder flavor and can bring more money if you sell it.Or it gives you choice of flavors on you table. Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.