Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Official Launch of Hive Tracks

34K views 103 replies 46 participants last post by  dixiebooks 
#1 ·
Hi All - My name is Mark Henson. I'm a software developer and beekeeper in the western mountains of NC. I've been working for almost 2 years on a new online application for beekeepers. Hive Tracks (www.hivetracks.com) will have its official launch and débuted at the Eastern Apicultural Society (EAS) meeting in Boone, NC on August 2, 2010. Hive Tracks is a FREE service. Its not just a website. It’s a powerful online database where each user can track their yards, hives, weather, inspections, feedings, medications and more. Please take a look at it and give me your brutal, honest opinion.

#85 ·
Mark,

First, thank you for all your work on Hive Tracks and all of the code and debugging you are doing.

I read the Hive Tracks blog of several screens a few days ago and several and made notes, but did not respond. Now I have read nine screens just to catch up.

Many of my notes now have been mentioned but I support the inclusion in the program of places to note: hive weight, pollen traps, propolis traps, bee escapes/type, and upper and/or lower entrances.

I think that your program will be much used and appreciated by the beekeeping community.

Thank You,
Bear Creek Steve

#87 ·
Just created an account and added 3 yards (no hives). While I like the ease of use I am not happy with the GPS coords using zip code.

Could you add zip + 4 and generate accurate codes. This would probably help with weather input. My furtherst yard is 12 miles away. Using zip code only for GPS really doesn't give me accurate information. For instance, the furtherest yard (12 miles away) has the same City as my yard at my house. But it actually is closer to several other towns. One of which is in a different county. The difference in rain between these 2 yards and the fauna is significant.

#89 ·
The lat/lon we provide is just a rough estimate. You can overwrite it with whatever cooredinates you like for either a yard or individual hives. The only thing to note is the text area where you enter lat/lon is a little tricky. It has an edit mask which is not the best in the world. I'm going to try and improve it over time.

#94 ·
You have replied to many questions but completely ignored any suggestions or requests for information about inclusion of alternative hive types such as tbh's.

Could you please just let us know if they will be added/supported or not in the future?

If not, I can then go about canceling my account and forgetting about this software.

If so, then I might consider sticking with it to see it develop and be of use to myself and many others who like me, primarily use top bar hives.

We simply want information.

Big Bear

#101 ·
Man, oh, man do I love this web application. Love it, love it, love it! I think the graphical-interface "hive builder" feature that I get a kick out of most. I like that I can actually keep track of equipment in that way.

I understand it isn't iPhone-compatible (yet); but that doesn't really bother me too much. I can take a notepad and pencil out to the apiary; I think the electronic device is better off waiting until my hands are clean, ha!

#103 ·
I was looking at the site and it looks like a nice way to keep track of things.

I only played with the demo for a short period of time but is there a section that tells upcoming scheduled things to do?

I'm looking for something that I can keep info in as well as tell me if I need to check something or do something in the next couple days.

~Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.