Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official Launch of Hive Tracks

Interesting site. The problem of to few options has been addressed. The issue I have is in the "history" heading.It shows everything with todays date.It should show chronological order of when the hive was created,when the queen was installed,etc. Am I just missing something? Regardless,thanks for the service!

I am stuck registering an account without seeing what's in the box. I have seen too many sad computer programs in fancy packaging to just jump in without looking. I already have my information out there enough without having to enter it on another server that may never get used again.

I hear ya about the lack of Info. We're working on our terms of service and a better description of what it does. I'm also working on a way to "Test Drive" Hive Tracks with a "dummy" account. You will be able to do everything... create yards and hives, do inspections, really test drive it... but when the dummy session ends the changes are lost. I hope to have this done within a couple of weeks. Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!!! I LOVE BeeSource.com and am a covert to forums.

I fill in the info for hives press "next" or "finish" and nothing happens...
    ...and hey, let's be careful out there !

Sorry about the trouble with making a new hive. I'm reviewing the logs now and it looks like the "Hive Builder" step is causing the issue. I should be able to figure it out but it would help if you could you tell which components you are attempting to us in your new hive? THANKS!

A recent comment about rain reminds me... one of the big features in Hive Tracks is weather tracking. Each time you visit the site we record the current weather at all of your yards (we space the readings out by 5 or 6 hours). Right now we record a LOT of weather data but are only displaying the highlights. We intend to correlate this data with trends in pests and bee behavior later. If you like you can force a weather reading any time as well as include a weather reading in your inspections... check out the "Weather" tab on the Yards page and in the inspection dialog.

This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway... is this the type of application that can be used from a Blackberry or Iphone? If so I can see potential use for it by my son (the Boss Beek) who eternally carries one in the field. I really could see him updating hives while in various yards... as far as myself - well I'm mobile device challenged.

This type of thing can surely be useful. I use the BeeTight service. It's a competitor, but competition can make everyone better...

http://www.beetight.com/

Adam

Really a good tool.
    I am now a member. Only USA ? I'm an American living overseas. Couldn't change long.&Lat. settings since there based on US zip code. Used old Fla. Zip. to sign up. All in all very nice, it will be of good use. Thanks man!

I know some of this has been called out already:

Reports Would be awesome with printing as well
    apple app so i can take my iPad to the yard
    Harvest by hive/ yard tab
    Treatments tab hive/ yard
    swarm info hive swarmed/ created from
    hive split
    blossom information

on the queen info selection for hive created
    pictures, you did not give size limitation so it took me a while to figure out why some of the pictures were causing an error. The error did not say picture to large.
    Add pictures does not work for hives only for yards.

I have completed my yard #1
    Last edited by DutchBee; 07-24-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add

Small typo:...to create you first bee yard. If you're already logged in then follow the links to at the top of this page to your bee yards or your account. ENJOY!

Definitely change out the pic in the upper left corner. It looks like a drone with butterfly wings.

As for source of bees, it'd be nice to see Trap Outs and Cut Outs on there.

On the Hive Builder, I'd be nice to see migratory tops, homemade top.

I do like the inspection part of it.

Mobile app is on the drawing board. We are focusing on the beekeeping bits first, then we will make another pass over the whole front end including new mobile app. Thanks for your interest!

The picture upload was the last thing developed and needs work. It fails to display errors. All pictures must have a unique file name at the moment even across hives and yards. That may be why you could not upload a hive pic. We will be working on that section asap to work out the kinks.

Your list of feature requests matches the top 10 on our list too so you should begin to see some of these over the next few months. Thanks for taking the time!

under hive inspection you list various pests/diseases and then a level such as low med or high... would be nice to have a level value for each pest/disease. maybe high in mites but with the sac brood, an addition for natural comb in step 3 of inspections for foundation type, varroa spelled wrong in step 4, in step 5 addition of a "none" choice.. otherwise great site! ive set up my colonies on it!

Only supporting USA zip codes at the moment but we have international on the planning board. We are trying to maintain very tight control over geographic data thus the USA limit for now. Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks for the spell check. There has ben a lots off tipos founded.... thats my fault... I'm a coder not a speler. I'll look at your request for more detail in pests and see if I can slip that in before our official launch at the EAS show. We are a bit spooky about updating the sight so close to the big launch... where I stand in front of the 400 of the biggest experts on the east coast and try to convince them that Hive Tracks is not a toy

Re: Official Launch of Hive Tracks

Hi All - I've added 4 new hive components types to the site: Queen excluder, Hive Top Feeder, Shallow Super (do different really from Honey Super) and Screened Inner Cover (I did not know about these!). Let me know if anyone has trouble using these new types.

So it seems you are intending to only focus on Langs. at least for now. With a big presentation, I can see wanting to put a streamlined, best foot forward. I do hope that there may be consideration of adding other choices for hive types in the future.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Ditto BigBear on that one!!!

Here's some notes from someone with only 4 hives (and likely to stay that way for a while).

It's sloooooooow. Frustrating to use since it takes so long for my entries to update. I'm used to a much faster response time with online interfaces.

In the hive options, when I hit "save" I expected it to save all changes in all tabs, not just the active tab.

It would be really nice if the date fields ignored me when I typed "/" and just entered the numbers. I screwed up nearly every date entry because I was speed-typing, and out of habit added the "/".

It would be very cool to have a quick way to enter in scale hive weight (which could be a sharable value when you get a mapping interface incorporated).

Don't include my password in the account confirmation email!!!!

For Queen options, it would be nice to have an option for "homegrown". I made a walk-away split so I'm sure that my queen's a pure-bred mutt.

I'd like to have a place to note honey-related values; % capped honey, amount harvested, quality or type.

It'd be handy for me in the "inspections" area to have an "actions" step to note what I did to the hive that may not fall into the pre-set categories. I'm still fiddling with my setups so I keep notes on such things.

It'd also be handy to have a "to-do" list, perhaps tagged for e-mail reminders. For example, I made a nuc, then I date a month down the road to check for queenright (and Hive Tracks emails me x days prior so I know when to look).

Shelley

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast