Default Bringing some cuts out home (Central, Ga)

During Turkey season at my inlaws I found two colonies in old home place structures on their land. They will be fairly easy to collect. I hope. My question is, any suggestions on transporting them home? Both are pretty good size colonies. I thought I would collect them in a ten frame hive body with a screen bottom board. I wilm have to carry them home Sunday afternoon in the back of my truck. The forecast says it will be in the mid 80's. Any suggestions or conerns from the experts out there?

Default Re: Bringing some cuts out home (Central, Ga)

Not an expert but I think you will be ok as long as they have good ventalation. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

If the sun is high and you get caught in traffic they may cook. Someone posted last year they they killed a swarm in the back of a pickup on a hot day. Bed liners can get really hot. Good luck with the Turkeys.

Wait a couple hours and move them after dark.

Thanks Bsweet and bruce todd for the responses. I thought some more about it. I think I will bring along a couple blocks of wood to space the screen bottom board off of the bed of the truck. Maybe that will help keeping them cool. This is my first time with a cut out. Not a real cut-out though. They are actually on a couple loose planks of the siding. Pretty good size colony. I thought I would just remove the plank for the side of the home place and then seperate the honey and bee's. I will use a filet knife and cut the comb into sections and shake the bee's into the hive body as I go, Hopefully, I will get the queen. Got to love some good survior stock. The other colony is built into a log. I might pass on it. It was actually a swarm I found, but by the time I got back with a box they have already moved into the log.

Thanks for all the input.

MG

If you are going to shake the bees into your hive on site I suggest you wait until almost dark to let all the foraging bees come back before you leave. Otherwise, you will leave a good bit of bees.
    Just my $.02
    Good luck!

Thanks davel.
    I plan to shake towards dark thirty and then seal them up. They will be sealed up overnight until around 5 or 6 the next day. Might throw a pollen Patty just for kicks.