Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: shb

Default Re: shb

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    It is not just a problem in the south...Their numbers will soon reach "highly infested" status in all regions and our entire industry will be in peril.
    SHB are tropical pests. They do not survive well in cold. They can only reproduce successfully when the soil warms. The further north you go, the fewer survive winter and the shorter the period that they can reproduce. In the extreme south, where winter breaks are short or nonexistant shb are a very serious problem. Where I live they are much less serious. If you go a hundred miles north of me they are significantly less.
    Folks all over the country will surely see some in their hives but they will only be 'highly infested' in tropical and near tropical climates....and these are the only places where 'our entire industry will be in peril'.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Re: shb

Hive beetle populations in 2001

http://pest.ceris.purdue.edu/searchm...y&mapyear=2001

Hive beetle populations reported since 2001

http://pest.ceris.purdue.edu/searchm...aptype=alltime

If you feel that you do not need to treat...that is your desicion. Our work was done for those that have lost their bees and thus the income that has supported their families for decades. I my self have given well over 300k worth of stock and countless amounts of funds and facilities to further this research in hopes of finding better solutions, whether they be chemical or non.

For those that simply do not care what happens in the south or any other region, you really should do your own research to try to get a better understanding of how our industry works and how vital our nations southern regions are to our industry.

Again, if you are against finding better solutions, thats your choice. But we will continue our research with or without your approval.

Those maps are amazing! You can perhaps understand the Dakotas or MN or WI with migratory beekeepers, but Maine etc??

I notice my county is not depicted on the map as having shb. Any way we can contribute to the data? I do have them, in everything, just not very much.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Maybe it's been so warm here in MI, but! My neighbor has two hives that are nothing but but SHB factories, no brood etc. He said he was going to put the hives down two weeks ago.
    Just did a full insp on a hive that I've been nursing along at my house, killed ten and they had larve laid on the landing board, that was just in ten days!
    Called him and he had not put them down yet, when I told him what was happening he said he'd do it tomorrow, I dam sure hope he does, jeez what pests.

Re: shb

Each laying beetle can produce 2,000 eggs... You may want to go to your neighbor with some Guardstar (40% permethrin) or some Permethrin SFR (36.8% permethrin but much cheaper than Guardstar) and offer to help him shut down those beetle factories. Break down the hives and stand them up right (on ant mounds if they are available), then poor the permethrin mixture aound the area to prevent the larva from being able to reach adulthood.

Para-Moth has been shown to kill adult beetles, larva and even eggs, when used correctly. Stack the supers on a solid, flat surface and place some chrystals on news paper between each one, then tape off the seams with packing tape and top it with a good seal.

The supers will have to bee aired out before reuse, but after a few weeks, you can at least rest assured that they will not be harboring any beetles.

Good Luck!

Hey folks, been doing some playing w/ the cd cases/ bait.
    Tried the equal parts boric acid/honey/crisco, zero beetles.
    What I did last week was took a cd case apart, popped the center part out and put some combat paste (three or four z trails) on the top lid and put it back together w/o notching the slats in sides of the case. Put the case in so the slats and opening in the back of the case are down.
    Just took the hive apart and had 10 beetles in the best condition there is, DEAD and some larvae (soonley dead too). That's in one week, I know that you southern guys will laugh but this yankee has only found a couple in the past and usually if that.
    I'm thinking that the SHB get into the slats on the case and can't find the way back out so they lay the eggs in the case too.

Excuse my ignorance. What is " CRISCO" ? I Googled and it comes up with " Shortening"???

That is correct, Crisco is shortening. We can get it as shortening or as oil. The Shortening is what I am using. I set my traps 5 days ago will check them Tuesday.

Smile Re: shb

max it is a trade name for a solid shortening that can be spread like butter. good luck rock.

Before we got plugged arteries w/ lard. Now we can use partially and fully hydrogenated plam and soybean oil and just get em partially plugged, anyway the SHB is supposed to love snacking on it.

" That is correct, Crisco is shortening. We can get it as shortening or as oil. The Shortening is what I am using. I set my traps 5 days ago will check them Tuesday.
    Reply With Quote" How did it work out??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123