Default Best Tomatoes Objective Reviews

Hi All:

If you're a bee keeper, you probably also have a vegetable garden.

I believe we need an objective source of information on tomato varieties that reflects our actual experience and opinions - not those of the seed companies or the growers who both have a vested interest in selling a particular type of tomato.

To that end, I've developed a survey and will be collecting gardener's tomato reviews on an ongoing basis. I believe this will result in a comprehensive and objective picture of the best, and worst, tomato varieties on the market.

My plan is to publish the ratings to this web site on an ongoing basis as a resource for everyone.

Below is the link to the review survey. It only takes a few minutes to complete:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TomatoReview

You can rate up to 25 varieties at a time. If you want to rate more, just take the survey a second or more times. You can take the survey as many times as you'd like.

The success of this project depends on getting enough people to contribute reviews to make the sample sizes large enough to be representative. I would ask that you send this link to any gardener friends and ask them to contribute their opinions as well. You can cut and paste the below link into e-mail or just direct them to my blog site where a link is also posted.

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Best Tomatoes Objective Reviews

Wrong forum, Go to hows yur maters hangin .com

Coffee Klatch Share and seek information on hobbies and interests other than beekeeping. Says it all....you can talk about just about anything here...including maters.

... and bacon ... and lettuce ... and a little mayo ... between a couple of nice slices of bread.

Now I'm hungry!!!!!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-23-2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: UNQ

Hi Ken:

Posting to this section of the Beekeeping forum seems OK to me. The banner for Coffee Klatch states that the forum is to: "Share and seek information on hobbies and interests other than beekeeping" Well gardening fits the bill and probably is a good fit with what many bee keeper do.

Honeybees don't pollinate tomatoes. Most tomatoes have a closed flower, and aren't open pollinated. Bumblebees will work tomato blossoms.

There are over 1,000 different heirloom varieties of tomatoes, and who knows how many hybrid varieties. http://translate.google.com/translat...3Doff%26sa%3DG

I rate tomatoes highly weighted on saleability. How much money can I make with them?

Honeybees don't pollinate tomatoes
    At times they will.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Hi Country Boy:

You are correct, Tomatoes are self pollinating; they don't specifically need bees or other insects to form fruit. Having said that, this section of the forum was designed for topics outside of bee keeping, so the relationship between bees and tomatoes doesn't really matter. I posted the tomato survey link to some garden sites, but I also felt that it made sense to post here since I believe many hobby bee keepers will also be vegetable gardeners.

Also, the rating system I put together is not one that is designed for commercial tomato growers. Tomato attributes that are of interest to commercial growers (shelf life, ability to transport, yield per acre, etc.) are not really of much importance to the home gardener and are not measured in the survey.

So for the home growers out there, the survey is located at the below link:

I normally grow more than 100 tomato varieties every year, and I have not seen any honeybees work my tomatoes. Occasionally I will see bumblebees or carpenter bees working the blossoms.

Also, the rating system I put together is not one that is designed for commercial tomato growers. Tomato attributes that are of interest to commercial growers (shelf life, ability to transport, yield per acre, etc.) are not really of much importance to the home gardener and are not measured in the survey.

I am not a commercial tomato grower - the aforementioned attributes are not of much importance to me.

How much money I can make with a tomato variety is an important attribute. Growing tomatoes is a profitable hobby, just as I want my bees to be a profitable hobby.

I believe we need an objective source of information on tomato varieties that reflects our actual experience and opinions

It has been my experience that most people have little experience or opinions on tomato varieties. Most people are lucky to name off a half dozen varieties.

It will be virtually impossible to get objective information on tomato varieties unless you poll people who have experience with the 1,000 different varieties.

Polling people who have extremely limited exposure to different tomato varieties will just get you subjective information based upon name familiarity.

Let's face it - are people going to vote for Roma and Beefsteak tomatoes or Azoychka and Blondkopfchen? Name familiarity tends to beat out objectivity.

Thumbs Up Re: Best Tomatoes Objective Reviews

for the best tasting tomatoe go with a mortgage lifter. very few seeds a real meaty tomatoe should be staked i use an 8 foot stake, for a very good producing tomatoe go with a hybrid celebrity only needs a 6 foot stake and will produce a huge amount of nice round fruit that is good for slicing or canning.