Default Ventilation for over wintering nucs

I am making up double nuc to overwinter. I have constructed the double feeder al la Micheal Palmer and using a solid bottom board that I have modified with two 2 inch slots on either side for bee entrances. My question is regarding ventilation. As It it is now the only breathing hole is the two inch bee entrances at the bottom board. This does not seem to me to be enough ventilation, especially here in the summertime. Should I drill holes in the bottom board and add screening to increase ventilation? I did not want to bore a hole in the box on top because now I can use that box anywhere else and the holes might be a problem. I know there will be a feed bag on top, but I doubt that will provide much ventilation. How do I increase the ventilation?

Default Re: Ventilation for over wintering nucs

My temporary fix is to use two inner covers placed on top of each other and add extra holes with mesh to the inner covers then set them on top of it. In the Fall when they arent flying anymore you can switch over to your modified solid bottom board. In winter i have two little homasote covers with a grooved out little second entrance then put the outer cover over both.

You can always bore a hole in the upper SIDE of your box then cut a small square piece of wood and then put a nail in one corner so you can open and close it the wooden square whenever you needed a hive entrance then duct tape it over when necessary.

Should I drill holes in the bottom board and add screening to increase ventilation?
    That's what I've seen done. They were 3/4" in dia. and numerous with the #8 screening on the bee side of the board.

We use screened bottom boards and cover them up with mite trays around mid October. Note we are further south from you. I also made shims for each side with an upper entrance. Have a ton of photos if you want a link.
    karla

Dave, I drilled 3/4" holes in the end of the nuc's cavity...opposite end from entrance. Just below where the top bars would be. I use it as an upper entrance in the winter. Taped closed in the summer. No reason why you couldn't leave it open all year. They will use it as an entrance.