Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What would be considered an allergic reaction to a bee sting?

I try to remember to take my ring off. However, after having it on 10 years, its easy to leave it on. One thing I do know is, it will be extremely hard to get it off if I got stung on my left hand. So far, its only been my right hand. I think this makes #4 for that hand this year.

In reference to these pics

I have been stung several times this year: in the face once (swelled like a little zit) and then in the fingers through my gloves so many time I dont know how many, probably twenty or more. The ones through my glove are not real stings just those itchy ones like you got into burning nettles or something.

Last week I checked in on my bees then came home and laid down for a nap before work. I sat down on my bed and took of my pants and such and set my alarm. I laid down fell asleep then felt something crawling on my back and being that I have seen some kind of wierd bugs crawling around lately I kind of freaked out and tried to get it off me. Ouch, the dang thing bit me on the hand, and man it hurt. I felt something on my hand and pulled it out. I thought what the heck, the dang things sting. I got up and looked around and sure enough there were one of those dang bugs crawling on the floor, so I killed it and laid back down, now freaking out about these things knowing they sting and now it was hurting and starting to swell. Aw man, what am I going to do I thought, how can I sleep with these dang things crawling around the house. Anyway when I woke up thank goodness, I saw a honeybee crawling on the floor dieing. I say thank goodness becuase at least I new it was the honeybee and I dont have to fear sleeping with some stinging bugs all around the house. Anyway to the point (I did not mean to write a column for the paper here) but my hand swelled up exactly like the pic above. Im guessing because a grabbed it and pulled it out instead of scraping it off like normal. The next day I was stung in the finger on the other hand, scraped it off and got my normal reaction, a little bump the size of a zit and was gone two hours later, just a red mark left where stinger was. Its amazing how much different one sting can be to the next I guess. My left hand was still swollen when I got stung on the finger which hardly had no reaction at all. Go figure.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-27-2010 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Remove photos

I just got back from the allergist. Any local swelling and redness is just that - a local reaction. She thinks that when my lips, tongue, and throat started tingling/slight swelling, it might have been a mild allergic reaction. She gave me a prescription for an epi-pen in the meantime, and I go back in for a venom test to see if I am actually allergic or not.

She said that if I am, they have a 98% success rate with desensitizing patients with bee venom therapy.

Jennifer

Re: What would be considered an allergic reaction to a bee sting?

I got tested at the allergists today, and it turns out I am allergic to bee stings. Guess it wasn't just in my head!
    I start the desensitization shots next week. Kind of an inconvenience, but better than the alternative.

Jennifer

Just curious, how do they determine that you are allergic? Fiance' just got a new job, so we are in the 90 day wait. But, was curious, if they used a skin test, how do they determine an allergy versus a reaction.

They would take your blood I'm pretty sure. And then add the bee venom. or something. I'm not 100% positive, but that's what i've heard.

At the allergists they did what they called a venom series. They tested for honeybee, wasp, a few types of hornets, and a control shot of histamine.

They injected very dilute venom - gradually getting stronger. I didn't react to the honeybee until the last series, and never to any of the others.

I don't know exactly how they differentiate between local and allegeric reactions (I'll ask when I over next week), but I do know that on the last series the honey bee spot was the only one that reacted - the others had absolutely nothing, even though I usually do react locally to them.

Again, I'll find out and get back to you - good question!

Jennifer

hey ya'll
    never had bad reactions to be stings, but was going to peek in on my Russian bees, big mistake, got stung 2 times on the forearm and once on the back, my back did as most people, local about the size of a quarter, my forearm is a different story. it has swollen my whole arm, and hands, went to bed thinking it would go down, took some benadryl, now my bicep is swelling as well, have never had this happen before, been stung countless times, funny thing is my feet were itching like crazy after the sting's. my wife is an RN and she is not happy with me, she said if the swelling does not go down, the swelling could get to my heart, something else to consider also was the tissue, swelling of tissue around the heart. i'm not that concerned, but if the swelling isn't down by Sunday night, i might be a little worried!
    God helps those who help themselves, the government helps those who don't want to work!

thought I'd throw my two cents in here as well. though it's down to 1 cent now because sqk stole my thunder. That''s ok though because he's right in his earlier posts.

In regard to epi-pens, I don't recommend that all beekeepers carry one. first, it's illegal to have one if you don't have a prescription for yourself.

Second, people tend to get a little over-enthusiastic if they have access to things like epi-pens and might use them incorrectly.

Thirdly, I do recommend that all beekeepers get trained in how to use an epi-pen as you can be a big help to someone who does need and have an epi-pen. it is difficult in many cases for someone to inject themselves. having someone present who knows it's proper use can maybe save their life.

Which is something else I would like to recommend. I suggest to all new beekeepers who come to learn at the conservation bee yard to always have a "bee buddy", an assistant, someone to help out. It's always good to have an extra set of hands around and it's very good to have someone who can help or go get help if something unexpected comes up (like the 10 year beekeeper who finds that suddenly, they are allergic).

having a bee buddy not only is a help, but it gives you someone to share the experience with. someone to verify that you saw what you saw (those crazy bees did what?) and did what you did (that crazy beekeeper did what?)

enjoy the bees
    Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

You cannot go far wrong in having an Epipen available; the downside to using one is a lot less than the downside to NOT using it if someone is having an anaphylactic reaction. If you are doing a cutout and a person with a life threatening reaction is stung it is far better for both of you to use the Epi pen. It has some possible side effects, of course, but they are not nearly as dangerous as anaphylaxis.
    Bee sting reactions may also be dose related. In other words, one sting may not kill an allergic person but five stings could.
    Anyone who has had a systemic reaction (hives, itching, cough, diarrhea, runny nose, sneezing, feeling of impending doom, wheezing, etc.) needs to see an allergist to be tested and should, without a doubt, carry an epipen at all times.
    My son is highly allergic to honeybee stings and starts allergy shots next month. My bees will be moving to a new location this winter as well to protect him.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

So how often does one get a sting? Is it usually through carelessness and complacency, or is it just a matter a fact, no matter what precautions you take?

I have severe allergies to pollen (cedar, ragweed, etc.) but have never reacted to any insect sting. I got nailed twice by a scorpion about two months ago. He was in my shorts when I pulled them on as I was getting out of bed. Got me on the back of the leg and then again on the palm when I grabbed my leg. I had no reaction at all. It just P'd me off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12