Threaded View

Default Ever Get A New Queen This Way?

I got a queen in a very unusual way. I had a hive that died out just before the nectar flow ended and the bees dwindled down to zero. The robbing started and that's when I noticed the cappings on the inside of the hive bottom. I took the hive apart to find wax moths had pretty much gotten in and ravaged one section deep. The other two deeps I have been freezing to put back on a hive to clean out the slight damage. Well I took the one deep that was wax moth infested to work to show my friend and new beekeeper (this year) what happens to a hive when it is weak. In any case I had set the box on the ground by my truck and did not notice but my friend said, "hey there's a bee there running around". Now this hive was dead and I know scavengers had gotten to it but when I looked down I saw her. It was a rather slender queen on the top of the frame going back down. There were no other workers there and she was by herself. I quickly found a jar, some paper towel and a few cells on the comb that had honey left in them. I put holes in the jar lid and put a few drops of honey in there. She just about walked into it when I put the jar near her. I kept her in a somewhat AC'd apartment where I work and took her home that evening. I did not have a queen cage so I got out my spade bit, a piece of screen,staple gun, a piece of old non treated wood and a small support piece of wood. I made up some candy with confectioner's sugar and made a plug. Because the candy was so soft I decided to partially block the hole with some bee's wax too. That way she would have a few days for sure. I was able to get a small blue dot on her but since then it has been chewed off her. She is doing fine and laying well. Where she came from I can only look up and thank God. Several "never heard of's" in this story. I have since then been inspired to raise a few queens using the grafting method. I am waiting on the tool. I will see about raising some to requeen and perhaps a few splits that I can overwinter on top of other hives. That way I will have some queens when I need them or then again I could just Look Up!!
    Last edited by Stevebug; 07-18-2010 at 05:46 PM.