Default frame removal for grafting

if i remove a frame for grafting, and wrap it in a damp towel to keep it from drying out, how long do i have before i need to return it to the hive? do i safely have one hour to graft, two, three? thanks

Default Re: frame removal for grafting

You could have a good Hour if you were to graft if not done in the heat of the day also if you are in a room where there is no wind but if you do it out side under the shade tree about 30 minutes, if you grafted about the crack of day light when the humidity is high this will help keep them moist

if possible prime you grafts.

I attended a queen rearing class and after lunch, probably at about 1:00 or so, the grafting frames were pulled out and wrapped in a moist towel. I was the last person to graft at about 4:00 and I got 5 of 6 cells accepted. We did every other cell dry graft/diluted R.J. graft. Definitely not ideal but it goes to show you the kind of abuse they can take as long as they don't dry out.
    Last edited by muskratcreekhoney; 07-18-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling

A few years back i grafted from a half length deep frame and place in the back of the truck bed was going to leave it out a day and put it back in and was going to use the water hose to rinse out the few remaining larva then place back in the breeder hive. it was 2 days before i put it back in the breeder forgot to rinse it out when i was at home

During this time the frame was out it got down in the 40's and stayed cloudy 60-70 during the days

So when i placed it back in the breeder hive with out rinsing out i thought the larva would be all dead and they would clean them out.

I was wrong there was about a dozen larva that they fed and grew out.

when i went to graft 4 days later they were capped

About 4 days ago it was in the 90's i was putting queen cell in I had cull one and left it on the hive it had been there for about 2 hours in the shade it was 2 days from hatch and laying on it's side. came across a nuc that the workers was starting to lay so i went and got it didn't have any other cells so i try it and marked the nuc ck on the day of hatch she looked perfect. I thought for laying on its side that long and 2 days from hatch really didn't think she would be formed right.