Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Default GMC Duramax Diesel Engines

This post has (2) purposes. I want to let anyone know who has a GMC / Chevy 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine that there is a Service Notice (attached at bottom concerning injector failures. If you have a 2001 or 2002, like me your out of luck at this time if your injectors fail. If you have an 2003 or 04, you have a chance to get the injectors tested and get them fixed under the Service Notice.
    My 2002 GMC 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax Diesel engine has (8) failed injectors at 83,000 miles and the cost to repair isnít cheap. GMC Service Request Number: 71-839629110
    GMC has told that they will not stand behind their product in any way of support, even thou based on the Service Technical Bulletin they knew they have and had installed defective injectors into their engines. They issued this notice to their dealers, BUT never informed their customers!
    Unfortunately, I have found out that my situation is far from unusual. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/6-2l-diesel-forum/33054-fuel-injector-problems.html
    The best part is try and get a contact number for GM / GMC that isnít their call center.
    I guess when the American public bails you out, you no longer have to stand behind your products.
    I can honestly say that I have NEVER been treated and dismissed is such a manner by any company that I have ever done business with.
    I have purchased my last GM product based on this issue and the complete.

#04039B: Special Coverage Adjustment - Injectors-Replace - (Nov 19, 2007)
    Subject: 04039B - Special Policy Adjustment - Injector - Replace
    Models: 2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
    2001-2004 GMC Sierra
    2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak
    2003-2004 GMC TopKick
    Equipped with 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) Engine
    THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD 2004 MODEL YEAR TRUCKS. PLEASE DISCARD SPECIAL POLICY BULLETIN NUMBER 04039A, DATED OCTOBER, 2006.
    Condition
    Some customers of 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion (refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007G and SI).

Default Re: GMC Duramax Diesel Engines

And the second purpose?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

1) Let people know about the Duramax injector issue and 2) GM's outstanding backing of their products and treatment of their customers......

Oh, okay, thanks. Welcome back. Long time, no hear from. Been busy?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Sorry to hear about the situation on your truck. Also, the "mountaincamp feeding method" works great for me. Thanks.

1st off all 8 injectors just don't fail all at once!!!
    Trust me, I was a claim supervisor for an extended warranty company for over 22 years that was owned by GM.
    I also have close to 40 years in the automotive business.
    The Duramax Diesel as I recall is now on it's fourth generation engine build.
    Bottom line is that the EPA has done nothing short of runing the entire Diesel engine program in this country.
    Go price a F350 or 450 & see what the lead time is for a V-10!!!

Yep, that's why I went with the V10. Had them since it was first offered and never had a bit of trouble with them.
    Regards, Barry

That's just it!!!
    They got the only GOOD CID gas motor out there!!!
    And you are right, for what we saw in them from the warranty side of things is all you had to do was change the oil as you should & they would go 200K no problems.

Working and keeping very busy.

I was at work yesterday for a local PD and one of the guys there for a ball game has the same truck / engine with 124,000 miles and said he just notice "a fuel leak or something" from toward the front of the engine. Sounds very familiar as that is where the vent line is.

Thinking back for the last few months I had notice a diesel smell every once and a while. Thought I had spilled some fuel filling / tightened the cap etc. So I would say the 1st went a little while ago.

The dealer is claiming all 8 are bad, and from what I have read about these injectors, I would replace all 8 while they have the engine open. They have to do a little tear down, so while it is open....

I ask the GM marketing to price me up a Ford! He didn't find it funny. I will be buying a Ford next time. Don't know about getting a diesel again thou..

Glad to hear that setting the bees up / feeding with the sugar on top has worked for you. I know there are fans of it and a few who don't like (hate) the method.

I know that GM has already lost a few trucks and cars....

Fuel leak at the front of the engine as I recall is a fuel pump leaking
    Camshaft driven pump????

Don't do a Ford Diesel. I am a die hard Ford man but the Ford diesels SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I just had to give up on my F-250 super duty. High pressure oil pump and turbo failure in the same week. Nearly 10 g's to repair. Ford is having big problems with all their diesel trucks. Now there is no better gasoline truck than a Ford IMHO.