Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Alternative Hive Designs Wanted

What do people think of the "Hex Hive"? http://www.hexhive.com/

On its facebook page there are some design pictures: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Califo...09376852441931

They talk about forcing the queen to swarm by restricting space and then removing a swarm plate that opens up the rest of the hive. Why would you do that?

Comb is free spirited so I guess you crush the comb for harvest.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I didn't see the part about forcing the hive to swarm. I was under the impression that the "swarm plate" on the "hex hive" was to give them just as much space as they needed... forcing swarming doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe the goal is restoring the bee population, not harvesting honey? Seems odd to me too.

Go to the facebook page and look at "requeening the hive" photo.

Sequence is right to left.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Hm. That is peculiar. Anyway, thought i'd share that. Not one i'd likely use

Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
    Regarding post #3 in this topic by Honeybeekeeper - you might be describing a WBC beehive, named for it's designer, William Broughton Carr. It was common in Britain, but is considered obsolete by many!
    The one i seen was like a hexagon bee hive, soon as i seen it i knew it would be very hard to build but i wouldnt mind giving it a try! I believe the inventor was from Pittsburgh Pa if im not mistaken! Here is a photo of a hexagon hive that i seen online that would be interesting to build! One of these days im gonna come across that hive that im looking for!

http://gardenfreshliving.typepad.com...ca93970d-320wi

Here is one i would really like to build just for the fun of it! I bet it would be very difficult!!
    Carr Stewarton Bee Hive!
    http://beehivejournal.blogspot.com/2...rton-hive.html
    Last edited by honeybeekeeper; 04-21-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Hi,

I have found this old design. The text is in Spanish, but the drawings are fine.
    These are notes from the Ministery of Agriculture talking about a hive that was designed in 1771. It gives some tips to build and handle it:

http://www.marm.es/ministerio/pags/b...6%20y%2035.pdf

Has anyone tried this hive or one like it?
    http://m.thewarrestore.com/site/mobi...etwork=fw#1130
    Zone 7A - Southern, MA. Elevation 138 ft.
    4 hives: 1 Carniolan/Italian Hybrid, 2 Swarms from that hive and 1 Russian.

I did not find the photos about requeening. But it's probably that they restrict space to put them in swarming mode. They then make swarm cells that the queen lays in. The cells are later removed and the bees are given more space to stop the swarming impulse.

Regarding #28 - John C - the problem is that top bar hives, not having moveable frames are not legal in the U.S. The standard Warre hive has it's followers (I'm not currently one of them), but they look like a pain to work. You can see one in action in the movie "Queen of the Sun" if you can catch it in a theatre or other venue.

Honeybeekeeper - sorry, I didn't quite understand that you were looking for a hex design. I do like my 2 Langstroth adapted WBC's ... the bees in them have been doing well. My favorites are the langstroth 10-frame mediums with windows for observation.

Kilo Charlie.
    Top Bar Hives are NOT illegal in the USA. I have been building these hives for 8 yrs and have heard this BS one too many times. The biggest problem is that most hives being hand built are not standardized but as long as the hive is able to be inspected and the combs removed it IS legal. Being that the bees build their comb naturally in a TBH I have far fewer problems with pests too. My hives are strong and have never been treated with any kind of chemical whatsoever..

Hive7.jpgcombhoney.jpg

I will check into legality at my state level (California) and Federal and get back to you. I'm not an attorney, nor a judge. I will also contact my state bee inspector and ask his position regarding top bar hives, and perhaps U.C. Davis.

The obvious alternative is an empty frame with a beeswax foundation starter strip, and let the bees do their thing. I now have a few colonies with foundation in the bottom box and stater-strip comb in the second box.

Of the six colonies, one absconded, one swarmed down below critical mass late in the year (their remainders were combined with another hive) and 4 are wintering OK so far in a Eucalyptus stand. The one that absconded was perhaps 1/8th AHB stock, well behaved, disease free, and a strong producer (40 lbs of honey in 4 weeks june/July). I wish I had that queen back! They did tend to make a lot of comb mischief - y frames, s-frames, bridge comb, comb holes, etc. They were good candidates for more foundation and lots of inspection.

The starter strip bees were from increase colonies from 2010 began in October with 4 or 5 frames. The were fed all the sugar/pollen/grease patty and sugar syrup they wanted, and were situated in double nucs at first. They were moved into 10-frame boxes in late November / early December, except for one colony that stayed in a 6-frame box meant for combining nucs to 10-frame boxes. I lost two colonies to swarming in January, combining the few left with other colonies.

All 6 colonies went to second boxes in February or March and two colonies were given 2 frames with starter strips. More starter strip frames went into the other boxes throughout the year. I lost the best colony in July after "correcting" some comb.

So far it has just been a little venture into Michael Bush-influenced beekeeping, not enough data to make any conclusions yet. Wax moths and Varroa mites occured in great numbers in our area this year. Other troubles came up recently when a farmer sprayed some of my hives. I lost a lot of good comb, bees, and queens.

I have a few friends in CA with my TBH's. (Los Altos and Malibu)As long as the frames are removable for inspection the hives are legal. Ive raised bees naturally in a Langstroth hive and found that I have better chances when the frames are checkerboarded with foundationed frames which are removed once the combs in the foundationless frames are filled out and *stripped* frames are introduced. Then I had frames of drawn comb to use to checkerboard other boxes.

I used the same strategy, except that I lost a colony that do not like so much manipulation. They took off as I was reassembling. It might be wise to limit how many frames are changed at one time.

About 10 years ago I saw some photos of what could be called 'Russian Garden Hives'. They were very detailed and appeared like miniture Russian cathedrals. I have never been able to find that website again.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Does a one-story ranch style hive count as alternative?
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Does a one-story ranch style hive count as alternative?
    Only if it's cantilevered on a hillside ...

I would like to see someone modify a TBH so it could mounted at a 45° angle.

I'm imagining an improvement in ventilation. And the possibility for the bees to move "up/down".
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

In my area most used type of hive is 12 frames and two small shops. In the two stores can use the entire frame (when put both stores). Sketches of this type of hive you can see here. http://www.miere-bucovina.ro/schite-...u-12-rame.html
    Width of the frames can store 45 mm, then grace can be removed for hameman queen lays eggs in the store no longer.
    Excuse English because I am from Romania - Europe.

Ok, I am trying to market this hives, they are highly insulated and almost free. But the issue is the weight -lol. Adobe Beehives.jpgAdobe Beehives 3.jpgAdobe Beehives 2.jpg

I just realized that if I ever want to do the "Almond Tour", this kind of hive is not for me... bu bu bu...

I really like that adobe hive! I am surprised you don't see more of them out here in NM. Definitely would keep the thieves at bay.