Default TBH New Beek w/ hive problem. Cross comb?

I got my first package of bees on April 12 and they have been doing great. Couple inspections and everything looked great. Checked them today and they had grown the colony way more than i expected. The problem i had is that while they have almost filled all the bars on the hive with some comb (none are completely full), some of the combs are on 2 bars and during the inspection i managed to rip several of them. I now am wondering if i made the bars the wrong width (1.5") or if maybe i should have made the starter points down the whole length of the bar as they seem to have started on the flats of the bars. By whole length i mean to say that the points cover everything but an inch or two on either end or even both are the problem. I did a lot of reading before i built and i know i read of several different bar widths i couldn't tell you the who, and why of picking that width today. I really need a solution to fixing this before it gets worse. In my mind the easiest would be to do a cut out on them and move them to a Warre i've almost finished, then work on cutting new top bars for next year, but any other solutions would be greatly appreciated. To my knowledge none of the local beekeepers use top bars so i don't have a good source of help on the matter. Thanks for any help you all can give.

Default Re: TBH New Beek w/ hive problem. Cross comb?

I also have another TBH built identically that is not in use as of yet. (was hoping to catch a swarm). Maybe fix its bars and switch them out one at a time similar to a cut out, tying them to the bar till the bees reattach them?

1.5 inch sounds OK
    stick to these

Top Bar Width

Brood 1 and 1⁄4 inch = 31.75 mm
    To
    Brood 1 and 3⁄8 inch = 34.9 mm

Honey Comb 1 and 1⁄2 inch = 38.1 mm
    to Honey Comb 1 and 5⁄8 inch = 41.27 mm
    Honey Comb 1 and 3⁄4 inch = 44.45mm

Is your Hive Level ? this is critical !!!!

YOU MUST USE a whole length of starter strip. trust me I have been there....If your lucky you can get away with not using it but why not making it easier for yourself. a small triangular piece stuck to the underside of the whole length of the bar does wonders ( leave a little bit off the end to rest the bar on)

***I really need a solution to fixing this before it gets worse.***
    and it will get worse...TBH need LOTS of work at the beginning. you need to be on top of it weekly. make sure they are doing what you tell them to do. Once you have 2 full bars just pop an empty bar between them and you "should get a very straight comb if you bee space if right.

good luck
    Last edited by chiefman; 05-17-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: fixes
    -= The Urban Beekeeper =-

Is your hive level?
    The Education Of A Man Is Never Completed Until He Dies -- Robert E. Lee

Yes the hive was checked with a level several times before i even got the package.