Default Brood comb in bottom of hive

I've got a question about brood comb I hope someone can help me with since I'm new at this! I was checking the combs and half of one came off the bar and crumbled to the floor of the hive so I gently put the pieces in the back of the hive - on the floor but leaning against the wall. It's been 11 days now and some of the capped brood have hatched out but some have not. Also, the comb is just covered with bees. Should I assume the brood that have not hatched out are dead and remove the comb so it won't be in the way? I'm worried the queen may come and lay eggs in the comb, or the bees continue to fill the cells with nectar and keep adding on to it like they've been doing.

Thank you in advance for your advice and help!

Default Re: Brood comb in bottom of hive

not a tbh keeper, but ... 2020 hindsight .. should have got the comb back on a bar with hooks bands or what ever. at this point , remove it before bees start wild comb on top of it.
    like I said, not a tbh keeper, _anyone_ else's advise will be better.
    Good Luck ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

If there was young larva and eggs in the combs then it will take more than eleven days for all the brood to emerge. If most of the brood has emerged you could take it out. As long as it is not being incorporated into new comb being built from the top bars it isn't in their way but do take it out before new comb from the top bars is drawn into it.

It is more likely the bees cleaned out the cells rather than hatching if it was more than 12 hours or so.

Pull it out soon or the bees will make a mess of it.
    Next time attach it to a bar and put it between two straight combs to let the bees completely reattach the comb and let most of the capped brood time to emerge.

If it was honey comb that broke, it is best to just harvest it. If not capped put it in a plastic bowl in the back of the hive and the bees will clean it up. Don't forget to take it out or the crawly critters will get in it after 2 days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jachens View Post
    put it in a plastic bowl in the back of the hive and the bees will clean it up. Don't forget to take it out or the crawly critters will get in it after 2 days or so.
    This is what I did with comb that was full of brood but too soft to reattach. It keeps the bees from attaching it to the floor. Once the brood is hatched out, if you have hive beetles in your region, you must remove it because it will become full of SHB adults and larvae.