Default Need some help on interpreting which cells are which

I have attached a few images and would appreciate some insight into which cells are which.

Background: I installed my package two weeks ago today. I have to admit, in spite of reading a lot I had no idea the bees would work so hard so fast. They have built comb on 11 bars with 5 or 6 being quite large. They appear to building from the rear of the hive near the feeder going forward. At least the smaller combs are near the front where the openings are. They are eating about 1/2 gallon of syrup per week. We have had nonstop rain here in Central Texas so they have been staying close to the hive. I have seen a few bees with pollen in their baskets but only a few.

There is no doubt the queen is laying eggs. Got some great pictures.

Picture 1 - Is this capped honey? This is one of the larger combs near the feeder. IMG_6157 resized.jpg

Picture 2 - It looks to me like there are larvae in some of these cells. In two weeks? Since some of the cells on this combs are capped, is this what is referred to as capped brood? IMG_6160 cropped and resized.jpg

Picture 3 - I'm sure you have all seen pictures of cells with eggs in them but I could not resist. I have been worried (unnecessarily) about whether the queen was working. Certainly seems to be hard at it. IMG_6176 cropped and resized.jpg

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Need some help on interpreting which cells are which

In regards to your picture questions-
    1. This is capped honey or possibly sugar syrup (more likely syrup seeing they have been taking 1/2 gallon a week)
    2. Yes that is capped brood
    3. Those are eggs (I know you really didn't ask a question here)

Good luck with the rest of your season!

Nice pic of the eggs. Those aren't always easy to see! Your queen must have faith in the workers that they will finish drawing out those cells before it is time to cap them!
    Agis Apiaries LLC - Three beeyards up to 7700' elevation in Ponderosa pine forest.
    Like us on Facebook

You're right on all accounts. Bottom right in pic #1 you can see capped worker brood. And I think I can see some larva between that and the capped honey. Hard to tell for sure, though.

Awesome pics - go girls!
    Starting 1st year, 3TBHs, 2 Langs, 10 empty traps d;^)

Yes, Yes and, Yes. G
    Once you've seen it there is no mistaking capped brood for honey/syrup cappings. Looking good. Enjoy.

That egg photograph is absolutely stunning. Wonderful little gallery - good luck with your bees!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
    I have attached a few images and would appreciate some insight into which cells are which.

Background: I installed my package two weeks ago today. I have to admit, in spite of reading a lot I had no idea the bees would work so hard so fast. They have built comb on 11 bars with 5 or 6 being quite large. They appear to building from the rear of the hive near the feeder going forward. At least the smaller combs are near the front where the openings are. They are eating about 1/2 gallon of syrup per week. We have had nonstop rain here in Central Texas so they have been staying close to the hive. I have seen a few bees with pollen in their baskets but only a few.

There is no doubt the queen is laying eggs. Got some great pictures.

Picture 1 - Is this capped honey? This is one of the larger combs near the feeder. IMG_6157 resized.jpg

Picture 2 - It looks to me like there are larvae in some of these cells. In two weeks? Since some of the cells on this combs are capped, is this what is referred to as capped brood? IMG_6160 cropped and resized.jpg

Picture 3 - I'm sure you have all seen pictures of cells with eggs in them but I could not resist. I have been worried (unnecessarily) about whether the queen was working. Certainly seems to be hard at it. IMG_6176 cropped and resized.jpg

Thanks for your help.
    Great pictures. Would be perfect for "B" school.