Default Shake em in or let em walk in

Any opinions or advice on how to install a package. Shakeing could hurt the bees too much. Maybe. I hear some folks just install the queen and get a cluster around her and then open the package and turn it upside down and let the rest go in to the Hive when they want.

Please advise. BTB

Default Re: Shake em in or let em walk in

Quote Originally Posted by BeeTheBee View Post
    Any opinions or advice on how to install a package. Shakeing could hurt the bees too much. Maybe. I hear some folks just install the queen and get a cluster around her and then open the package and turn it upside down and let the rest go in to the Hive when they want.

Please advise. BTB
    ive done it both ways. Easiest for me was to put queen in hive, remove 4 or 5 frames, put package in empty space of hive, then remove cover. put the tops on the hive and walk away.

bees can walk, no need to shake.
    2 hives est. 2015
    Zone 7a

and when you end up with them building comb in the package... shake them out, they are not that fragile.

Shake them out.

I've tried it both ways. Found it easier, at least on me, to put the package in the space, the queen cage on some comb, and walk away. I come back in a few days and remove the package box (never had any comb built in it), make sure the queen is released and replace the frames.
    There are times that it's necessary to shake up the bees. I'm not convinced that package installation is one of those times. But I must say that I see nothing wrong with shake n pour. It is much more efficient for a big operation, and no big deal for the bees. I just try to be gentle to my livestock.

Shake um out and be done with it so they can start to work. They are not that fragile.

Just shake em out its eqsy enough an 8 yr old girl can do it. This was done 5-2 and they have built up two deeps and I put the first super on this weekend

https://youtu.be/vua9NPAbYAY

> Shakeing could hurt the bees too much

It won't hurt the bees at all. It's quicker and easier than anything else and more foolproof than leaving space where they can build messed up comb.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF