Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2010 National Honeybee Awareness Day -- Aug 21, 2010

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  winevines 
#1 ·
Saturday, August 21, 2010 is National Honeybee Awareness Day -- Just knocking on your doors to see if you or your club is joining in the outreach to the public on this day.

I am really excited about working with several beeks in Central PA on putting a 4 hour program at our local Library (New Cumberland Public Library) on this Saturday, 08/21/10, between 10 AM and 2 PM. Our purpose is to educate the public about beekeeping from planting bee friendly flowers to bee friendly yards to the keeping of bees to the harvesting of honey.

We are going to have 6 staging areas, where the public can wander around at their own pace.

** Area 1 -- Educational Posters/Literature on Honeybees and their products
** Area 2 -- Honeybees in Distress -- Hope to have some sort of Powerpoint Video to show the critical link of the survival of the Human Race directly to the Honeybee. Discussion on Bee Diseases, Pesticides, CCD
** Area 3 -- Master Gardener talking about bee friendly flowers and friendly yards. The goal is for the kids/individuals to take home a plant and a sign that they can put in their front yard stating "Safe Bee habitat" or "Bee Friendly" yard or "Save the honeybee, save yourself".
** Area 4 -- Beek in uniform showing what is necessary to keep bees from the tools to the actual makeup of the hive.
** Area 5 -- Honey Extraction Demo -- Using a 2 frame manual extractor, our intent is for the Audience see where they honey comes and for them to taste it.
** Area 6 -- Sampling Various Types of Honey with an Observation Hive for individuals to enjoy. I am looking at the possibility of filling up the 2 oz Teddybears containers and letting the individuals take it home with them.

If you can think of ways how to make this day even more inviting to the public, I would open. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Alachua County Beekeepers Club will be hosting an all day event at Dadant & Sons in High Springs, Florida
We have a great lineup of speakers including Dr. Jerry Hayes, Dr. Jamie Ellis who head up our Apiary Inspections and the UF Bee Lab plus many others that will be giving seminars on everything from working hives, making candles, starting off right with your 1st year of beekeeping, how to light and keep a smoker going, how to make mead, and on and on it goes. Something for everyone and it is all free.
Another highlight is our annual fundraising auction with guest auctioneer Laurence Cutts (Mr. Beetle Blaster).
If you are in the area make sure you stop by to visit with a great group of individuals devoted to keeping our bees alive and well.
We will be putting more information on our website as we get closer to the event.
http://alachua-beekeepers.ning.com/

#3 ·
Hello from the Mecklenburg bee group this is our first time doing this and we are pleased we will have Mike thomas himself as a special guest and some others we are a new group and trying to raise some awareness to our local people about how useful honeybees are to us. We also have asked another group to join in with us to make this a great event but have not heard anything from them yet.

THOMAS

#4 · (Edited)
I just heard a good(mostly) segment on honeybees and what's happening w/ them these days on NPR. There were three people highlighted and quoted. Kim Flottum of Bee Culture, Dave Hackenberg and a female urban beekeeper whose name I don't recall. Good exposure and mostly accurated description of honeybees, beekeeping and importance of bees to our food supply.

The funny part was when the urban beekeeper and the reporter were talking about the "lazy bees" at the bottom of her hive and how they were the drones that have service the queen and are now just hanging out before the queen gives the workers the job of kicking the drones out of the hive. gave me a chuckle anyway.

I was wondering where Hack was. Now I know. He's in the pumpkins in PA. Or he was a cpl of days ago. Probably zippin' down some hiway. Lookin' for the next pollination gig. Keep on truckin' Buffy Bee.

#5 ·
Hovanec Farm Produce Stand http://www.nwibeekeepers.com/
2711 W Old Ridge Road
Hobart, IN 46342
10 am - 2 pm
NWIBA will offer a honey tasting of light and dark honey. Have one of each variety so you can taste the difference for yourself! We’ll have recipe cards, candle rolling, coloring books, wild flower seed packets and the first 200 people to attend will recieve a FREE Haagen Dazs ice cream cup!!!

www.nhbad.com

Generous support from:

#6 ·
Tomorrow is the big day to celebrate National Honeybee Awareness Day. Several clubs in our area are also doing something special for this day.

I am really excited about our small contingent of four beeks. Each of us will be running our own piece of the pie as we look for future beeks among the attendees.

So if anyone is in Southcentral Pa, stop in at the New Cumberland Public library from 10 am to 2 PM. We would love to say Hello

Hopefully, you can find a club in your area that is doing something special.

Good Luck to all those that are having events. Love to hear from you on how it went.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Honeyman, Thanks for sharing.

We too had a good turnout and are estimating that we had 80 inidividudals attend. Of which of those 80, we are likely to see another 6 or 7 become beeks, which is the payoff. By the end of the day, the other 4 beeks and myself knew that we had earned another 80 friends for the bees.

That is what it is all about -- beeks taking the time to share the joy in beekeeping with others. When the event ended, we each carried a warm glow that lasted the rest of the day.

Next year, we will work on our media outreach with the goal to start reaching out to other like minded individuals in order to reach other libraries.

One of whom attended our event was a young teenager who has now joined Beesource. You can tell he has the hunger to keep bees. Today, I did drop off two hives at his propery with his parents' permission, with the understanding that he will take a short course on keeping bees either this fall or next spring. Meanwhile, we will work the hives together.

That is what National Honeybee Awareness Day is all about. Reaching out to the Public to let them know the formidable battle facing our bees and why we need their help more than ever.

I would love to hear more about those that helped put on an event or participated in one. Thanks. :)

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.