Default TBH at two weeks question

I have a new TBH and this is my first experience with beekeeping. I was late starting this year and put bees in my new hive on July 2nd. Within 4-5 days, they had started one small comb. I have been feeding 2:1 sugar water inside the hive since the first day. I've tried to leave them alone and have just watched a little thru the viewing window. With the feeder inside, I don't see much action outside the hive but have watched them (thru the window) hanging in huge groups from the bars and assumed they were building comb. Yesterday, I opened it up and have four pieces of comb, each covering more than half of the bar and within three inches of the bottom. I lifted each of them out and they are mostly filled with uncapped liquid. I don't know if this is just sugar water or honey. Lightly scattered throughout are open cells with what looks like gooey orangish pollen. But there are not any capped cells and I didn't see any eggs or larvae. I was nervous since I'm new at this and didn't keep it opened up for long. Here's my question. Is that probably pollen I'm seeing? And if it's pollen, does that mean they are collecting food for brood? I'm worried that I don't have a queen. I bought an established queen and bees from a Lang hive. I've read ABC to XYC Bee Culture and would've thought I should be seeing capped brood cells by now. Any body have any advice as to what I'm seeing? Is pollen a sign that a queen is laying and I don't know what I'm looking at? Thanks.

Default Re: TBH at two weeks question

its only been 2weeks. the bees need to draw comb before she can lay egs. keep feeding and get a polin substitute to make sure they have enough resources. do an inspection in a week and you should at least see the white larve.
    good luck

Default Re: TBH at two weeks question

...I have been feeding 2:1 sugar water inside the hive since the first day...

I'd switch to 1:1 sugar syrup to encourage the queen to lay. 1:1 sugar tells them there is a flow coming and the bees encourage the queen to lay. The 2:1 is used more as fall feeding for winter stores.

.. they are mostly filled with uncapped liquid. I don't know if this is just sugar water or honey.

Since you didn't see much activity outside the hive, the liquid is mostly regurgitated sugar water. The bees will evaporate this to the thickness of honey then cap it. You could call it honey then but it will not be of a good quality since it's made from sugar and not nectar. This "honey" will get them started though.

..if it's pollen, does that mean they are collecting food for brood?
    Yes.

...Is pollen a sign that a queen is laying...?
    No.
    Pollen does not mean there is a queen but neither does your situation prove there isn't one. Give them more time and switch to lighter syrup.