Default Caffeine fuelled idea for swarm prevention

It's a little out there, but I'm trying to be helpful. My first year, 2008, I ran a TBH I started from a package. It grew phenomonally. I harvested honey, it still swarmed. it filled the box again, overwintered, and I harvested honey again in the spring before I put the bees in a Lang. Heresy.
    Last year managing the Lang and two more started from packages I harvested no honey.
    This year I'm going to make a decent crop from the Langs.
    What has been working for me has been using one of the swarm control plans outlined in "Teach yourself Beekeeping".
    This method relies upon separating the three parts involved in a swarm into two parts: "(1) The queen, (2) the brood and its nurse bees and (3) the flying bees.
    When swarm preparations have started, leave a frame of bees on the original site with a queen cell. A few days later check that frame again and to ensure only one queen cell. A swarm doesn't leave the hive as it thinks it has already swarmed. The box that is moved won't swarm because its lost its flying bees. Move it again to lose its bees to adjacent hive to be doubly sure.
    Finally my idea. The problem with my TBH was that it was so heavy I couldn't move it. Suppose a new beek built two hives and set them on a 12 or 16 foot 4x4 post which was laid flat, level, and fixed to the ground. When the first hive was full the beek (using rollers, or wheels, or another means) slid the hive along the log so it .as at least 8 feet away and then placed the empty TBH in its place with a single frame with a queen cell on it. Artificial swarm completed. The caffeine is wearing off now. Adrian.

Default Re: Caffeine fuelled idea for swarm prevention

you are 90% there

key is there are 3 components to the swarm, queen, brood/house bees, flying bees.
    In your scenario you are separating the brood/house bees and the queen from the flying bees (and the queen cell).

yes you could do as you describe.

You could also just remove the queen and several frames of brood with nurse bees shaken in and you'd have the same effect, except now your field bees and your house/brood will be in the old location so you need to 1 -reduce queen cells down to one or two and 2 - make space for honey.

I do this all the time in my home apiary and when I pull the queen and two frames of brood I also add several supers of drawn comb because the now queenless bees will pack in honey like crazy.

Best,
    -E.
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

Erin, you're right. Yours is a good system. I am just not up to it yet.
    Try as I may I cannot find the queen in a populous hive unless I don't need to.
    I think it will get easier when I get the confidence to use the queen catcher and marking pen. I have seen all the tips for finding the queen, but I'm just not good at it yet. Thanks for your comments. Adrian.

You might not need rollers and whatever. Could you make a box that top bar combs could be hung in? Then you could open the hive, hang the combs in the box, then move the now empty TBH, then carry the combs across & put back together.

Other than the logistics of actually moving it, your origional idea is sound.

Good thinking Oldtimer.