Default How to measure cell size?

I want to check cell size of our local foundation, but don’t know the “standard” way it is measured. Do you measure across diagonally opposed corners of the cell, or across two opposing walls?

Thought you top bar guys might be the best to ask this question.

Default Re: How to measure cell size?

Lay a metric ruler to measure the shortest way possible across 10 complete cells. (Include the outer wall of the first cell and omit the last cell wall of the tenth).

Note the distance in mm. Write that down and repeat several places on the comb. Take an average and divide that by ten.

Individual cells are more difficult to measure, but it can be done. Normal comparisons are done using the shortest distance across a cell.

That makes me wonder: Do some people include a wall thickness for each cell, and others not?

Another method is cells per inch. That is also measured the short way.

You got a great answer above. If you want to measure individual cells you are looking at 1/2 millimeter difference at the most. A bit too much for my eyes to judge.
    Check out Michael Bush's site for some great info and foundation comparison.
    Last edited by Aram; 07-15-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: link added

Much thanks for the help!

Hmmm.... Just measured some foundation by two of my country's main manufacturers, it's 5.5 ml per cell .

I've been a commercial beekeeper and this size has worked well for us, nobody really questioned if we should do it any other way, this small cell debate is quite new to me. We've only had varroa here for 10 years and our ones still are easily treated with products like apistan, they have not developed an immunity yet. But no doubt the time will come.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael, excellent article.

Already read it though, Aram recommended it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We've only had varroa here for 10 years and our ones still are easily treated with products like apistan, they have not developed an immunity yet. But no doubt the time will come.
    also as the miticide use continues, the wax supply (and foundation) becomes contaminated.

deknow