Default Floral source of honey

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell what is the nectar source of honey?

Assuming it is unfiltered wildflower honey, is it possible to analyze a sample for the type of pollen in it and tell what % of the honey came from what floral source?

Not that this would be practical, but is it possible? Or maybe there is another way that I haven't thought about.

Default Re: Floral source of honey

There is a way to do it, that is how they certify Tupelo honey, but alas I no not the process.

Down here in FL, if we sell honey labeled as a certain "Pure" floral source it has to be tested by the state to determine if it is as labeled. I'm pretty sure the state just does a pollen count. BTW, we have to pay for this and it's not cheap, although I haven't personally had the lab tests done. We just use a general floral source label such as "Orange Blossum" or "Wildflower."

What percent does it have to be to be labeled as a single source honey?

Thats interesting. I wonder if its something anyone can do if they have a microscope. I guess you'd have to be familiar with the pollen types, but there must be some resource out there for that.