Thread: Woodenware

Default Woodenware

Can anyone give me method or advice as to how to thoroughly clean some used woodenware that was stored outside for a while, wax moths, ants etc look to be in it?
    Many thanks.

Default Re: Woodenware

If there is no disease just brush it out - I would probably scrape and wash.
    If nosema or certain other diseases were present then scorch it with a propane torch.

Mike

get all the junk out of there as you can then take a propane torch to the sides of the box.

Pressure wash and then scrape and then run a torch over it.

In MA we have the option if irradiation. Check with your bee inspector or ag agent. It seems like the best option to me.

For the amount of time it would take me to torch the inside of the box and then what you'd be left with I'd to irradiation or get new equipment.

www.preservationhoneybee.com

Adam

You mention wax moths, does this mean there were combs in the boxes that have been destroyed?
    If so, and the damage is minor, the bees can repair it. But generally it's not worth hassling around trying to fix old frames & combs. The boxes lids and floors though might often be worth saving, it's a judgement call how bad they are.

A tip about fixing old combs, if they have big bits missing, the bees will fill it with drone comb. However you can get it filled with worker comb if you put the frames in a smallish nuc. The bees in a very small hive will build worker cells because they need to produce workers.