Default Confectioner Sugar

Does anyone have experience feeding confectioners/powdered sugar and if so can you share the outcome? By this I don't mean dusting for mites or to unite colonies, I do not mean mixed with Terramycin. By feeding I mean as patties and/or syrup. I am having a hard time coughing up the crazy prices of sugar and a ton of this became available at a good price; I've never used this before as a feed source and just want to make sure the low levels of corn starch that I know it has will not be detrimental to the health of the honey bees before I move forward and purchase this.
    If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live. - Lin Yutang

Default Re: Confectioner Sugar

I think it contains corn startch which I dont think is good for the bees.

As long as the bees can take regular cleasing flights, the starch should not be a problem. If your bees are going to be eating it while confined for long periods, you may start seeing problems with dysentary.

I fed confectioner's sugar patties (mixed with crisco only) one time, ended up with sickly bees due to the corn starch I suspect.

I stick 2 cups of sugar in the blender at a time and make my own powered sugar. I do that 4 times and mix it with about 3 cups of water and that will make me about 12 parties. Good luck -Zachary
    Last edited by Edmonds' Apiary; 07-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.