Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Preventing an extractor from walking?

We extracted 55 gals with the three coasters. Perfect! Thanks so much for the information.

RABray,

I am jealous, yours looks better than mine. LOL Nice cutout for the honey gate, love it! Also, great idea on the added height, I may have to take mine and modify it to match yours what a plus it would be to use a full 5gal bucket and still be able to change strainers. I use a 3.5gal when I extracted, but that was because I could not put a 5gal under with the strainer.

Nice job!
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

Jeff,

Well thank you. I would not have had this success without the suggestions and ideas you and others on this site so freely shared. This forum is a fabulous source of information! Anyway...truth be known...I started with a small opening for the cleaning water to drain out of the bucket depression and then realized after mounting the honey gates on the bucket the opening needed further opening. Fortunately I had not applied the finish before I realized this. I used the unit Sunday for the first time and it worked flawlessly. I would not have known to put the base on three wheels had I not read about the advantages on this forum. The unit wiggled a bit and shimmied a bit but never walked around and it was sitting on a smooth hard surface floor, Pergo to be exact. Sooooooooooo... Hats off to this forum for helping me...

What capacity wheels would one use on an 18-22 frame extractor?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

What capacity wheels would one use on an 18-22 frame extractor? .
    I just went to Home Depot and purchased the 2 1/2 in hard castors. They have a 132lb capacity. That is per castor, so you shouldn't be exceeding the weight limit with 3 castors even with your 18/22 frame extractor.

Here is a link to the castor I used: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

They do have heavy duty castors available too if you are concerned about weight. I can tell you that the ones I got have performed flawlessly this year with my 12 frame extractor.

Good luck,
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com

3 swivel casters with 3/8" studs through the leg mounting holes works fine. I don't understand the need for any platform or base? The casters give the height for a double strainer and 5 gallon bucket.
    I put a "real" honey gate on my Maxant 1400. It extends out about 4" longer than the original. I tilt the unit kepping one foot jammed against one caster as I tilt it. At some point two front caters flop over and I can empty all but maybe a pound of honey/trash and the gate is inside the strainer. I just have to make sure I keep a hand on the side that is lower to keep it from kicking backward and falling over.
    Why the bases & platforms?

I have used a piece of plywood with a large dot of silicon rubber at each corner to temporarily glue it to the floor. After the usage I cut the dots with my trusty hive tool and clean the rubber off the concrete. I would prefer anchors planted in the floor if I would ever decide for sure where to put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I have used a piece of plywood with a large dot of silicon rubber at each corner to temporarily glue it to the floor. After the usage I cut the dots with my trusty hive tool and clean the rubber off the concrete. I would prefer anchors planted in the floor if I would ever decide for sure where to put them.

I doubt that it is really necessary but my uneducated, yet mechanical, mind makes me inclined to believe that the energy spent on allowing the extractor to move will relieve some stress on the bearings.
    Either way I still don't think a platform or base does anything but as "stuff" to the extractor. Maybe I am missing a hidden benefit.
    I love the 1400 extractor from Maxant but it does not like spinning an unbalanced load. The extractor will spin a lot easier and needs less friction from the knob when there is balance inside the tub. I know that balance is better after throwing out the bulk of the honey from the frames but I've loaded mine down with over 15 deep frames and 5 mediums several times. If it is balanced to the point that it doesn't start to wobble upon initial starting rotation it is usually going to spin fine. If I try to force it to spin a load that isn't balanced it will never get up enough steam to throw the honey. I think it has to do with the way the friction system works and I can appreciate this and live with it.
    It is great equipment IMO.

You guys have me convinced to try some wheels on my new 20 frame.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    3 swivel casters with 3/8" studs through the leg mounting holes works fine. I don't understand the need for any platform or base? The casters give the height for a double strainer and 5 gallon bucket.
    That's all I did for my new 1400 (no platform, no nothing) works like a charm with just a simple "wobble." Jake (from Maxant) should recommend it as preferred method of mounting!

3 wheels work great and relieves the stress on the entire system.

I plan on doing my extracting in the garage so I will bolt mine to the floor 3 small holes in the concrete 3/16 " to run some Tap Cons in when done back them out until next time . Simple easy and sturdy.

The 3 casters work great.......IF, IF you've a balanced load! That does not happen too often. I started off with a wobble, advanced to a slow dance, then ended up doing the shag with the extractor leading!!! Now it's bolted to the garage floor when in use..........

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Guys, guys, guys....

Give up on all the bolts, plates, and weights. Instead secure machine to a sheet of heavy plywood AND then bolt 3 large swivel caster wheel in a triangle pattern around the outside of legs (like for a furniture dollies ).

It is counter-intuitive I know. BUT IT REALLY WORKS!!! The machine will wobble gently as it spins up. The faster you spin, the less it wobbles. It will certainly want to move around the floor but gentle hand pressure is all it will take to keep it in one place. This also takes the pressure off of the extractor bearings and they will last much longer -- probably forever.

Give it a try -- Fuzzy
    + 1 What Fuzzy said , works like a charm !!!!!

The 3 casters work great.......IF, IF you've a balanced load! That does not happen too often. I started off with a wobble, advanced to a slow dance, then ended up doing the shag with the extractor leading!!! Now it's bolted to the garage floor when in use..........

Mounted 3 castors to the legs of our 20 frame Maxant last week. I'm very surprised how well it it did.
    Dan

Thumbs Up Re: Preventing an extractor from walking?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    You guys have me convinced to try some wheels on my new 20 frame.

It's like a washing machine they put springs on each corner so the machine doesn't destroy itself , if i had to do it over again i would use wider rubber wheels.
    Last edited by wildman; 08-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.