Hybrid View

Default Preventing an extractor from walking?

I took my extractor for a spin, I extracted my first medium super .
    My question is, other than bolting it to the floor what methods do people use to prevent it walking away? It's a Maxant 10/20.
    It has bolt holes in the 3 feet, and I was thinking of bolting those to a wooden base and then rested my 105 pounds of John Deere tractor weights on the wood. Is that enough weight? What do other folks do?
    Thanks, Adrian.
    Last edited by Adrian Quiney WI; 07-14-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: more detail

Default Re: Preventing an extractor from walking?

Instead of bolts, use lag screws. I bet it'll still walk on you w/ themethod you are thinking about using. Or you will have to use so many tractor weights that they will be in your way.

But, maybe you will be successful. Try it and let us know.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I have a small one (9 frame) that's bolted to a pallet.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

With the 1400 series I would get a piece of 4x4 sheet of 3/4 or 1 inch plywood, run 3 bolts through the underside. Then set the extractor leg hole tabs over the bolts. Tighten down with some wingnuts for quick and easy removal. You now have a larger surface area for stability. If you want to get a little more creative you can take some weights and set them underneath the exctractor.
    If you are in a spot that the extractor will stay, then you may consider lags through the floor.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Maybe sand ags would be better than tractor weights. then if you stubbed your toe against the weight it wouldn't hurt as much.
    Just a thought.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I have an older 50 frame Root Extractor. Its mounted on a wooden base and the base is also secured into the cement floor

3 swivel casters with 3/8" studs through the leg mounting holes works fine. I don't understand the need for any platform or base? The casters give the height for a double strainer and 5 gallon bucket.
    I put a "real" honey gate on my Maxant 1400. It extends out about 4" longer than the original. I tilt the unit kepping one foot jammed against one caster as I tilt it. At some point two front caters flop over and I can empty all but maybe a pound of honey/trash and the gate is inside the strainer. I just have to make sure I keep a hand on the side that is lower to keep it from kicking backward and falling over.
    Why the bases & platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    3 swivel casters with 3/8" studs through the leg mounting holes works fine. I don't understand the need for any platform or base? The casters give the height for a double strainer and 5 gallon bucket.
    That's all I did for my new 1400 (no platform, no nothing) works like a charm with just a simple "wobble." Jake (from Maxant) should recommend it as preferred method of mounting!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

3 wheels work great and relieves the stress on the entire system.

I plan on doing my extracting in the garage so I will bolt mine to the floor 3 small holes in the concrete 3/16 " to run some Tap Cons in when done back them out until next time . Simple easy and sturdy.