Thread: Nuc Questions

Default Nuc Questions

This question is targeting those that are using only medium supers frames on their hives. This is what I had planned on doing and at this point it is the only gear I have ordered.

All of the nucs that folks are selling and people that are offering appear to be deep frame nucs.

So if you are only wanting to run medium supers, (and only have one size frames available) does that make a issue with nucs. Seems like a nuc with medium size frames would be fairly small area for a colony to build in and they would run out of run fairly quick.

So can you run a "medium" nuc or do I need to plan to have two sizes of frames around if I am going to mess with splitting my hives fairly often?

Default Re: Nuc Questions

At one time I used only mediums for brood and honey supers, and my nucs were 5 frame medium nuc boxes. If they needed room to expand in the nuc I would just pile on another 5 frame medium on top, and I would winter them that way too. I think deep nucs are the most popular to buy and sell, but I don't think you would have any problem selling medium nucs (single box), there are plenty of people out there who run all mediums just like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    This question is targeting those that are using only medium supers frames on their hives. This is what I had planned on doing and at this point it is the only gear I have ordered.

All of the nucs that folks are selling and people that are offering appear to be deep frame nucs.
    Funny in Northern Virginia seems like most folks are moving towards mediums- by the hundreds. While I still work in deeps, I started to make medium nucs too. I find that since they are smaller, its quite handy to have at least a 2nd story around in Spring- and for winter- 2 or 3
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    So if you are only wanting to run medium supers, (and only have one size frames available) does that make a issue with nucs. Seems like a nuc with medium size frames would be fairly small area for a colony to build in and they would run out of run fairly quick.

So can you run a "medium" nuc or do I need to plan to have two sizes of frames around if I am going to mess with splitting my hives fairly often?
    Actually, having all mediums makes nucs easier. Early in the year, I will just use an eight frame medium for nucs. An eight frame medium is the same size as a five frame deep. Later in the year, I sometimes use a five frame nuc. Most of the time I just use an eight frame medium for "nucs".

Shane

I've been building and using 5 frame medium nucs this year. I started primarily for the purpose of making splits and keeping the small splits contained so they could control the new space and not get wiped out by SHB. But I agree, I like working in the 5 frame fashion.

Also when I do cutout jobs, I strictly use medium frames for the transferred comb, so that makes it easy too. If they are a really small colony or swarm, they go in a medium nuc. I'm still trying to eventually upgrade my hives to a deep brood box with all medium supers above (10 frame), but the bees don't seem as motivated to move down when I place a deep hive body below a medium.

I know this sounds elementary, but keep in mind that every 5 frame setup has to be twice as tall as a 10 frame equivalent. I have one setup right now that is 4-5 frame deeps and two mediums above. On a rail already 20" off the ground, it's getting a bit tall!
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g