Default Pollen Dryer / Cleaner

Good afternoon everyone.

I am set up to run 200 pollen traps next spring, with plans of expanding if everything goes right-ish, and do not relish the thought of hand cleaning and air drying all of that pollen. I have been online trying to find commercial pollen cleaners and dryers. The dryer is easy. Really just a large dehydrator.

The cleaner is the hard one to figure out. The only ones that I have found that are not on Alibabi are those made by Lyson. There is not much information on them in English and there are not any reviews of any kind that I can find. When spending money I like to have an idea of what I am getting and from a company that I know exists.

Does anyone have any experience on the Lyson Pollen Cleaner? Does anyone know of any other cleaners out there that work? I am specifically looking for Pollen Cleaners and I am looking for Stainless Steel construction to comply with CFIA criteria for food preparation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Pollen Dryer / Cleaner

I don't have a pollen cleaner, but I have cleaned pollen. Get a fan with quite a few settings (a cheap box fan with three speeds will do. Start with it at the far end of a long table (outside of course) on a reasonable calm day, or just use the breeze... you use the wind to blow away the chaff. It's just a matter of distance and speed on a fan or having a long tray and you toss the pollen in the air at the windward side and it drifts a little toward the leeward side while the chaff blows away. I haven't bothered since I got a Sundance II top trap as the pollen is already plenty clean enough for my uses.

I've usually freeze dried mine. Put it in an open container in the freezer and it loses a lot of moisture very quickly.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you for your reply Michael. I was thinking more on a larger scale. I wish I had the time to winnow my wheat by hand, but life is a bit busy for that. I thought about building my own cleaner, but like most of us, my time is sparse. I was hoping that there was a good, cost effective, but food safety ready alternative. The Lyson one does look good, but would like to know what other larger scale producers use.

I think a fanning mill would really work great for processing lots of pollen. We had a nice working antique when I was a kid and it work really nice on cleaning up a bunch of different size seeds. I think an alfalfa seed screen set would probable be about the right size. Not sure where you might find one of those old machines with a variety of screen sizes though.

Maybe a patent search would be a good place to start. And manufacturing your own would be a great place to finish... although demand for a high volume pollen cleaner could be about as likely as 90 posts in this thread.

On youtube they have the vid to show such a unit.
    Maybe you can build one too if you're handy enough. Or contact the
    inventor to see.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

some good things to research....seed cleaners
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/arch.../t-205986.html

this looks like something I made in my garage with stick glue and jbweld https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/20/Q...Pollen-Cleaner

if I were in your shoes I would make something before spending 1700 on the one you're talking about.
    Terrence - 2 full years....still a newb