Thread: Beetles.

Default Beetles.

What really kills the beetles? I have some beetle barns and want to know what attracts them and what kills the most without destroying the hive. Thanks, Bo.
    There is no INTELLIGENT life on any other planet, they're probably like us!!!!

Default Re: Beetles.

A hive tool!!!!

Lots of good ideas on here for traps some off them are " off label".
    I'm thinking here in Florida you have to either stay on top of them or keep you hives strong and take an occasional hit.

I think ( but don't know) that it is a good thing to break the propolis seal as infrequently as possible and keep entrances small.

Disclaimer!!.....I'm still trying to figure it all out!

I had alot of luck this year using the cd case traps. I mix up some megabee, honey, sugar, crysco, apple cider vinegar, and boric acid. dont ask me how much, I just mixed and mixed untill it was runny enuf to suck up with a big syringe, but still thick enuf it wont run or drip out of the cd cases. I found a whole lot of dead beetles on my bottom boards. no signs of any beetles tracking any poison out of the cd cases either, I think they just eat a tiny little bit and then crawl out and die.

Sending you a PM.

Chickens!

do the chickens go in above or below the brood chamber?
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Thanks. I like the chicken idea, but don't know how well the bees would.
    There is no INTELLIGENT life on any other planet, they're probably like us!!!!

I got chickens and they are always scratching and picking around the hives but there are still some beetles in the hive. It seems like once they are in they are in and I don't think the traps will totally eliminate them. How do you know that chickens will eat SHB?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

JohnBeeMan, :-); BoTBees, my girls sit on the stands, on the tops of the hives, under the hives, and the bees and hens never bother with each other; Acebird, all the scratching and picking is the hens taking care of the SHB. Totally eliminating SHB is like totally eliminating Varroa! I, too, still have SHB in my hives, but in a limited number that the bees can defend against. The combined forces of the bees and hens holds those dang SHB at bay.

Glad to hear. I didn't get any traps because I thought they wouldn't get any more than the chicken would. I will be interested in seeing how the brood chamber looks in the spring and I have my fingers crossed that my girls will make it through the winter. It is the only harem my wife will allow me to have.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Tia View Post
    Chickens!
    No kidding, I have one hive struggling with beetles (I am trying to help trapping them and hivetooling them on regular schedule.

Then I have 2 hives in the middle of my chicken run. Other critters being ducks and guineas.

I can not find a single beetle in those 2 hives now. My birds are scratching around digging all breeding SHB larvae, also they keep the ground around free of any vegetation and ants.

I am not sure if they eat mites falling through SBB though. I hope they do.

If you find better organic and not invasive "treatment" for SHB let me know.

I have been using a screened bottom board that sits over a plastic tray with a little soapy water in it. As I inspect the hives I'll take any frame that has beetles on it and rap it against the SBB. Both the bees and beetles fall off the frame, the bees bounce off the screen and fly away while the beetles fall through the screen and drown in the soapy water. I have been able to clean out heavy beetle infestations after two or three inspections and treatments using this setup. To make it even more effective I place older drawn comb at the outer posistions in the super, the SHB's are drawn or driven to the outsides of the hive and hide in the drawn comb. The beetles don't seem to hold onto the comb very well and a sharp whack of the frame on the SBB dislodges them and then they fall to thier death. One of the main reasons I like this setup is because it allows you to deal with the beetles quickly as you are inspecting the hives, no chasing the beetles around with a hive tool and watching half of the fly away before you can get them. Instead all I do is pull the outer frames, check them for beetles, smack the frames against the SBB and finish the hive inspection. I have even whacked the inner covers on the SBB because of lots of beetles and it worked fine killing them.
    I would think that a tray of soapy water set up under the SBB of a hive would be another way to reduce the SHB population. The only drawback that I can think of is that it would need to be cleaned and have the soapy water changed out every three or four days.

Good workable system and advice.

I will try it in heavy infested hive.

Chickens sound easier. And they give eggs.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

It was mentioned at our state meeting the day before yesterday that beetles like to hide away from the bees at times. There is a guy in PA who has a number of plastic drinking straws glued to a piece of cardboard laying on the top bars of his hive. When he opens the hive he takes that set of straws and knocks the beetles inside of it into a bucket containing soapy water(I believe). It cuts down on their numbers. No chemical treatments in the hive.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter