Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Are they leaving?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LuckyBucky 
#1 ·
I went out an hour ago to check my hive. It looked like a bigger than normal cluster of bees on the outside (like all of them) so I opened the observation window and there were only about ten bees inside. The small comb they had made several days ago was completely bare. Will bees continue to work in a new hive if there is no queen? And if my queen is gone is there somewhere to buy one this late in the season? I am going back out now to put a baggie feeder inside, since I have been feeding with a jar right outside the entrance.

#3 ·
The bees built a section of comb about three inches long by three wide. It has been the same size for three days now. As of this morning, it was completely empty. Just pretty white. I had asked on another forum if the queen would immediately start laying while the comb is still being built, but never got an answer. Do you know? I can't find where you said someone had queens for sale. Can you please give me some directions?

#4 ·
#5 ·
in my experience if you dont find eggs 10 days after the queen cell has been capped you are not going to. Do a complete inspection to make sure. The queens are in the for sale section of this website.

The queen will lay eggs in a partially built comb. She wants to get to work and the bees want her to get to work.

There may be a derth or they may not have the numbers to make honey.

Post what your inspection reveals

#6 ·
I got these bees from a guy in Nashville. He shook them off the frames of a Lang hive into my TBH. Then he opened the brood box, caught the queen and put her in there. I know she was alive and well an hour later, but have not seen her again. I know this isn't the standard way to "stock" a hive, but it was too late to find a swarm and this guy offered. So.....I don't have a time period after queen cell capping to go with. If I check again in the next few days, and all the comb is still empty, should I order a queen and assume mine has flown the coop? Thanks for the advise.

#10 ·
I moved my feeder inside the hive yesterday. They are eating about a three cups of sugar water a day. As of day before yesterday, there was only the one piece of comb. But yesterday afternoon, they went inside by the hundreds (maybe moving the feeder in, they didn't feel the need to guard the entrance?) and are completely covering the piece of comb and one side of several more bars. It looks like they're building comb, but I can't tell. As much as I hate to disturb them, I think I need to open it up and see if any eggs have been laid. If not, I'll order a queen tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.