Default too late to raise queens ?

Here in my area, the "flow" is during spring.. most everything blooms at once and is basically over by mid June. No real fall flow in a regular year.

I want to requeen some hives (possible making splits)..I was told by an experience beekeeper to order mated queens.. because it was too late to let the new splits "make" queens.

I assume he meant that it would be too late (now that it is July) for the queens to have time to mate start laying and build up a nuc with a large enough poplualtion for winter.

Any thoughts on this ?

thanks
    Charlotte

Default Re: too late to raise queens ?

Be quick, I just did a couple myself, and plan on doing a couple more in a week. I'm planning on keeping feeders on until they are plugged into a single 8 frame deep for over winter.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Charlotte,get going soon. If you can I would get queens for your splits. You would be basically a month ahead. I did some walk away splits this spring and by the time the girl starts laying could be 30 days or so. With that said,your population of the bees in the split will go down. Just my opinion,it would be real hard,even feeding real heavy to have them going into winter at a good size. Peace Dave

I did this years ago and decided for me it's not worth it. A big problem at this time of year would be robbing, if you split, move the new split to a different location away from other hives. They can clean their clock almost immediatly. They will not progress beyond 1 deep and you'll dillegently have to watch them until the flow next spring so that they don't starve. Better to go into winter with strong healthy colonies and split out brood next spring as is the natural order of bees.

Well, I certainly agree that robbing is a major concern... I dont have another bee yard to use. In the past, I've been successful by reducing the nuc entrances to a 2 bee width but remain concerned about robbing.

I know spring is the best time to divide. However, I have only had 1 year in the last 4 where this was feasible for me. We keep having cold snaps which causes (chilled brood) (no early drones for mating here) (problems getting queens from breeders due to demand) and then the flow hits like a flood by mid April. I hate to loose honey by reducing my hive population a few weeks before the major flow which may only last 6 - 8 weeks anyway.

If I can divide during July and feed, I'm not taking away from the producing hives right before the spring honey flow.

I see that it might be best to invest in mated queens though... it would have bees being born 3 weeks earlier.. thanks

Big Grin Re: too late to raise queens ?

I just made a queenless nuc and, they were robbed out
    of all honey & pollen in 2 days. I replaced the honey &
    pollen, added another frame of eggs/larva. I screened
    the enterence for 72 hours & now I'm on day10 on the
    queen cells. Is it to late? I don't think so,but I live in
    the south. Whatever you do, do it soon!

It is getting late but you can try to raise a few any ways. The way I do it is in mid May or early June making 3 frame splits from my main hives. I place the one with the old queen off to the side and the one that will raise a new queen stays on the main stand. The old queen is then given a pollen patty (4x4 inches) and hard candy that I made and it is also (4x4 inches). This the robbing bees will not take and the small hive will feed on this for a week or two. I then start giving them sugar syrup for 2 weeks. I find this works well in my area.
    I hope this helps or at least next year you can try it.
    Dan

cd, The drones are still flying here in VA. If the weather cooperates it is not too late to raise queens. I grew up in Pickens County. It may be a little late to split and and let them raise their own queen, unless you feed them. You may be able to get a queen from Dwight Porter there in your own county. He raises some excellent queens.