Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Square TBH to install Nuc?

I pick up my "long lang" tomorrow and can't wait. I am excited to see how all my theorycrafting will compare with my soon to be real life experience.

I watched the video Stone posted and the only thing I don't like is the one way conversion. Once they have been cropped and drawn out by the bees I don't think they can easily be put back into a Lang if needed.

I plan to get some video when I pick it up the box. If anyone is interested let me know and Ill post a link to it.
    Some have said you are only a "bee haver" until you get your bees through the winter -- then you are a beekeeper.

Why pay extra for nucs? Package bees are cheaper and I have had just as good luck with them as with nucs. A nuc is just a package of bees one month later. Successful feeding of syrup is what really counts with either method.

Quote Originally Posted by BillFishlore View Post
    Successful feeding of syrup is what really counts with either method.
    Some may think so. Others will disagree heartily. A great new book just published - the only one written on the basis of treatment free beekeeping that I know of - "The Complete Idiots Guide to Beekeeping" - writes a good deal about the dangers of feeding sugar or corn syrup: Upsets the microbial balance of the hive because of a difference in the pH balance, and opens the gate to all kinds of pathogens.

Each beekeeper has to make up his own mind about this but many of us believe in helping the bees get "back to nature" and let them do what they began doing millions of years ago. I decided not to feed my bees and let them survive on their own. I'll take the losses - and believe me I've experienced what that means - but in the long run, I believe it's best for the bees long term survival.

No argument from me on that one. If, however, you start with packaged bees or a nuc, you will feed them or lose them. Letting them swarm and catching the swarm is more natural but doesn't make much of a business model. Letting swarms go wild and setting up colonies in the wild would, if done on a large enough scale, rebuild our stock of feral bees, which is now decimated almost to extinction. Allowing feral strains to develop and luring their swarms seems like a good idea, but it will take many years. Winter losses of feral bees are large, at least here in New England. Honey bees aren't native to the New World so there is no natural niche for them to occupy.

Well I picked up my "Long Lang" on Friday and I am very happy with it. I took a video of the hive when I picked it up from the builder, Fred Nicoles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjP10...eature=channel
    Some have said you are only a "bee haver" until you get your bees through the winter -- then you are a beekeeper.

very nice looking hive, it's a lot prettier than the one i put together last year but along the same lines.
    i think you'll find that you like this set up a lot as i simply love mine, just getting the extra brood and honey area using this style over a conventional tbh is well worth it. having sloped sides looks cool but square footage is where it's at
    here is mine with the top off and the observation window cover off, note too the screened bottom cover is in the up posision

it wintered well here in nw wyoming and i am about to do my first split here this week.

Cool looking hive Beebiker. I am very excited now that I have transferred the bees over. I am really happy to hear the good experiences you and Steve10 have had with this style.

I built a long deep Langstroth box and put a top bar hive in it. After all the combs went down like a row of dominoes I did a cut out on that one to salvage it and build the medium one. I have not had that problem since.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Those are both very nice hives. Love that design 1toomanyhobbies.
    I'm leaning that way myself. I need another winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I built a long deep Langstroth box and put a top bar hive in it. After all the combs went down like a row of dominoes I did a cut out on that one to salvage it and build the medium one. I have not had that problem since.
    Thanks for your input Michael. I have decided to use foundationless frames to try to avoid the issues with comb collapsing. I read your article and I am having the bood frames made 1 1/4 and honey 1 3/8.

Quote Originally Posted by Growing Boy View Post
    Those are both very nice hives. Love that design 1toomanyhobbies.
    I'm leaning that way myself. I need another winter project.
    Thanks Growing Boy! I am really happy how the hive turned out. I have been sitting outside each night and watching them through OB window. I highly recommend making it an OB hive if you don't already have one.

If you want to go deep, I think you'll be happier with the frames. Plus if you get any wild comb you can just tie it in the frame...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael. The box has already been built as a deep and I do want to continue to use it. I really appreciate your input since I know you have a ton of experience with different hives. I will look for some of the small cell foundation to put in the deeps.

So what I'm gleaning from all this is that you can configure a hive any of a few hundred different ways but when it comes down to it, success or failure depends on an understanding of Bee nature, using that understanding to guide your Bee management and just a wee bit of luck.
    As I said before I like 1toomanyhobbies design for the sheer versatility of it though I might not build it quite that fancy. It's kinda like the Cadillac Escalade of beehives, but who knows? Right now it seems a long way til next spring.
    Oh, Thank you Michael for your Website and your years of experimentation.
    Your observations are an invaluable resource.

1too ... great thread, great outside the box thinking on hive design!!

But note, Michael said he thought you would be happier with FRAMES (to support the comb/brood/honey) ... NOT 'foundation' ... not that he necessarily would oppose your use of foundation.

BTW, the website for the guy who built your hive doesn't appear to bee working ... any idea what's up? (specifically interested in his Warre hive pricing.)

Peace,
    Joseph

Thanks GreenB! Holy cow I misread Michael's last post and thought he recommended using foundation. THANK YOU for catching that!

Right now Fred is selling most of his stuff via Ebay. You can find the warre hive here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WARRE-BEE-HIVE-/...item335f270c0a

That is one already made but if you have specific changes you want he can build custom or alter the one already made.

Hobbies. great plans, great looking hive, on your frame issue I have taken regular land frames and not installed the foundation but rather ran a bead of melted beeswax around the inside of the frame where the foundation would be,my ladies built some very nice comb useing the bead of wax as a guide. I havent had any problems yet, but I'm doing this in lang hive now for comb honey but hope to build a tbh this winter along the same lines you have used for the same reasons as you. Good Luck. Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12