Thread: praying mantis

Default praying mantis

I was just at my hives a few minutes ago, and I spotted a 3" praying mantis on top of one, eating a bee. Anybody know how much damage one of these can cause? Seems like it couldn't be much.

Default Re: praying mantis

a good queen lays 1000 plus eggs a day-yep, thats 1k+. a mantis is small potatoes. enjoy the show.
    good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Yessir, using my rudimentary hillbilly mathematical skills, I concluded that I had more bees than praying manti (isn't that the right pluralization?), and therefore didn't even take it off the top of my hive.

Cool sight to see though... get any pictures? My brother once raised pray mantises(is that the right pluralization?) from othaca's, with are those little semi-hard cocoon things you find attached to stuff.

I see them on my hives alot. I always have an empty jar or 10 in the back of my truck. I try and catch them to bring them home and put in my garden.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

If you find an unopened egg case you can bring it in the house, put it in a windowsill, and watch the hatch. They come out and eat the flies in the window, fun to watch!

I watch waves of dragonflies scoop up mine, once in a while one will try to grab one too large and it will get away. Never seen a mantis by the hives. I have a book from the 1920's called beekeeping in the south that list dragonflies as the largest danger to queens on mating flights in the state of Florida.

Caught this one under the entrance of the hive with a bee on video a few years ago. Not really entertaining to watch some bug eat one of your bees, but I'm with Mike on this one. I found it fascinating to watch how the mantis works. Best viewed at the higher resolution of 480p.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acbees#p/u/13/h7GSafRYY8w

Arvin

amazing... and disturbingly fascinating. I wonder if there's a particular reason why this mantis started with the bee's thorax? You're right, it was rather gross. I love mantises, love bees more, hate it when they come together like this. But, such is life. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow