Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Uncapping larvae

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Liam 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I got back from vacation yesterday and, naturally, got into my hives today. The first hive was gorgeous, ready for another super. The second hive was much better than last time I checked--it just requeened, and there was a satisfactory brood pattern, though the population was still low. But as I looked closely at the frames, I noticed that several dozen nearly-hatched larvae had been uncapped. There were also probably a dozen uncapped cells half filled with a darn brown jelly-like material with no apparent shape. Are these things related? What could be causing them? What should I do?

Here's a picture (cells circled in red): http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fR_6bPfWmruQAtAa787WdA?feat=directlink

Thanks!!
3pianists

#2 ·
Do a rope test. Take a small twig or something and stick it in the cell and see if when you pull it out its stringy. Also, is there any foul odor eminating from the hive? The larvae coulda died and could be rotting in the cells...

#3 ·
Uncapping pupa and removing them is a VSH hygienic trait in some honey bees. If the material is the remains of a pupa, and it doesn't string out when you slowly remove the stick, death could have been caused by varroa. Look for pupa with colored eyes being removed and/or with the head chewed off.

#4 ·
3pianists

I have the exact same thing on one of my hives. The match stick rope test is for EFB.
I think its due to bald brood which maybe caused by wax moth larvae and a small colony. There is little treatment that you can do. Or so I have a gleaned.
Has anyone else with more experience knowledge of this?
Thanks

#8 ·
Fortunately, AFB it's not!! I went out this morning to do the rope test and collect a sample to send to the lab. When I stirred my toothpick around in the first cell, I got a little surprise: that "jelly-like material" was honey. There was a thin, dark membrane (of wax?) on top of the honey; I guess that's what threw me. I poked into at least five other cells, and they were all the same--honey! What I don't understand is why they partially capped a bunch of cells that were only halfway full of honey. Also, why would that particular capping wax be dark when it's brand new?

Now I feel like a bit of an idiot, but better to be an idiot with a healthy hive than be right and have to burn my bees! Amen?

#9 ·
What about the larvae in your photo that are uncapped that are in fact in form adult bees that are white? I think this is a v intriguing observation.

The different colour wax is due to the fact that they re-cycle wax from that that has been used before for brood which discolours it.

#11 ·
What about the larvae in your photo that are uncapped that are in fact in form adult bees that are white? I think this is a v intriguing observation.
I agree. Unfortunately, I don't know why they're like that. :eek:

The different colour wax is due to the fact that they re-cycle wax from that that has been used before for brood which discolours it.
AHA! Thank you! :D

3pianists

#12 ·
The white uncapped larvae could be chilled brood. They will drag it out soon enough..LOL.
Thanks for your reply! :thumbsup:

I neglected to mention the rather relevant fact :)lookout:) that uncapped pupae are present on several frames in this hive and several in my other hive as well. Doesn't that seem to discount chilled brood? ( Yes? No? What do you folks think?) Someone suggested that it might be bald brood caused by wax moths; I haven't noticed any other damage to the wax like I've heard they cause, though. :scratch:

Anyone else have a possible explanation?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.