Default New Top Bar Hive

I believe I posted this in the wrong catagory the first time. I've recently got my first hive and bought some bees from a local guy in Nashville. We just went out to one of his Langstroth hives and shook the bees off the supers into my hive. Then he caught the queen and put her in and I ran home and set it up in my yard. That was a week ago today, which was 7/2. The problem seems to be that the bees aren't doing much. About ninety percent of them just pile up on the outside of the hive. A few are inside building a single piece of comb, but I would think they should be farther along by now. They don't even go in at night. It's been suggested that I open another entrance hole (for a totol of three) which I did. It's been suggested I open my bottom board, which I did. (Since posting this, I've read on the TBH page some recommendations that the bottom board be left on. I left mine on for the first six days and they didn't go in.) And I also moved my follower board down and added a few more bars to the end for a total of eight bars. Made most of these changes yesterday evening, and as of this morning, they're still just sitting there on the outside. I do have some mid-day shade. But I have fences on three sides, so maybe there's not enough of a breeze. I really don't think this is an issue, because I can feel the breeze while I'm at the hive. Am I just impatient? Am I worrying about nothing? Anybody have and suggestions or ideas? As I said, I'm brand new to this. Thanks.
    Last edited by LuckyBucky; 07-09-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Default Re: New Top Bar Hive

Hey LB. I am brand new to this myself and the guy I bought my nuc from said FEED FEED FEED. I know there aren't a ton of options for TBH compared to a Lang but even if you put an entrace feeder inside the TBH, it will help them with creating comb. My $.02

Thanks, 2Many. I've been feeding them since the day I brought them home. I'm beginning to think I've made them plain lazy. I found some good instructions today for how to build a follower board feeder for a TBH. Would you like me to send them to you?

Haha, I hear ya. Sure, I'd love to see the plans for the feeder, send them on!

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/ind...ic,7561.0.html

This is the link for the follower board feeder. I'm going to make one tomorrow.

I went to the feed and seed, got a chick waterer (3.50), cut some hardware cloth into a doughnut and put it in the water trough and Wa la! Cheap easy feeder. I must add that i had drilled a hole in one of the follower boards so that the bees could go get the sugar water without it being in their hive space.

They loved it. No drowned bees. Could change it in a t shirt and shorts. Sadly, I had to switch to regular hive this year, my bees just didn't get the top bar hive the backward way I presented it....

Good luck with your girls! I hope they do great!

Lauren