Thread: Oops

Default Oops

I am new to this forum, hello everybody. I am also new to beekeeping. I jumped in with two feet, no one to teach me so much but wanting to learn. So I have a few hives going, all done in various ways. Beekeeping is fascinating, I am sure you all are quite aware of this, it is new to me...

Here is my scenario and question. I recovered a hive from a wall of an old farmhouse ( have been recovering feral hives here in the local area). I took the comb from the wall and tied the comb to the top bars in a Kenyan Top Bar hive I made. It was full of brood so I couldn't see doing anything else.

I gave the hive a few days to get established before disrupting them seeing as they had quite a traumatic end if the week last week. When I checked the the bars, the first looked good was attached nicely to the bar, covered with bees, The next, oh no, those little girls attached it to the bottom, and the comb behind -- Did I do a bad thing? Is there a way I can fix this problem, The comb is so fragile I don't want to manipulate it too much.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated -- thanks -- Eric

Default Re: Oops

langs are easier to manipulate, and in my opinion easier for beginners as its easier to get help/advise. its much better to get one kind of hive and stick with it as that gives you the option of using one hive to help another and to compare them, and the learning curve is not as steep with only one style.
    good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

For now the main thing is to have a straight good comb on the end where they are building. Find one and put it on the end and push them over to fill that gap. After the comb is tougher, build some frames and cut it out and tie it into the frames.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

it never fails to amaze how someone can come into the "top bar hive" section of the forum to ask for help and almost immediately people will try to deter them from tbh's or praise some other type of hive.

The people come into tbh area because they want to learn tbh. not to hear how great folks think some other type of hive is.

For pete's sake, respect the intent of the sub forum and keep to the topic. TBH's.

As to the question at hand, I think Mike Bush has your solution. focus on straight comb first,the rest can be cleaned up later.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Thank you -- that sounds good -- there are plenty of bars and I will let them fill them up and go back and fix the beginners. I appreciate the help.