Thread: Still no queen?

Question Still no queen?

Hi All...

I got my first-ever hives as nucs on 4/30. It was inspected about 6/15 or so and found queenless, as I had suspected by the drone brood forming, but nothing else. We took a frame with queen cells out of my other "good" hive and installed it in the problem hive. The next week or so I didn't go into the deep, I just opened up one or two, I think, and it looked like it was so full of bees, so I put it back together and thought I'd better add another hive body, so I added a medium and started feeding them again - not much flow right now. It's been abot another week and they had done vey little in the med I had added, just a scant, scant coating if wax on just a few frames. I went in to all the frames (8 frame hive) and there didn't seem to be much of anything going on. There weren't a lot of brood cells, and there was only one frame of brood. That IS progress, since there weren't any before, but there wasn't a whole lot of honey either. I removed the medium I had put on and fed again.

I am sorta clueless here. I've got BROOD, some, so that means a queen, yes? I did see a few larva next to the capped brood. So that says queen, yes?? So, do injust leave it alone, keep feeding, and see what happens next week? Since there were so few brood, I thought I should leave the medium off, yes? Any directions would be appreciated.

I added the second medium to the one deep because after my check after adding the frame with queen cells, it seemed population had really grown. I may have been wrong.

Default Re: Still no queen?

1."...I've got BROOD, some, so that means a queen..."
    yes, IF its worker brood.
    2."...leave it alone, keep feeding, and see what happens ..."
    thats what i'd do.
    3."...few brood, I thought I should leave the medium off..."
    yep, let her fill the combs she has first-it helps them to defend against pests and robbers if they dont have too much empty space.
    4."...it seemed population had really grown. I may have been wrong..."
    most likely you had a burst of new bees hatching, then the older bees started dieing off.
    good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Thanks, Mike! That helps to know I'm at least thinking in the right direction. Feel so clueless.

Stay on top of how much room they have running the 8 frame equipment. I am as well, and started 2 hives from nucs May 1st, and within the last 3 weeks both have swarmed. My advice, stay away from the queen excluder. I didn't and thought moving a few med frames of honey up above it would solve the problem of them not wanting to pass thru excluder. Well apparantely enough didn't want to pass thru and they threw honey all in the brood chamber, which was a deep and one medium. Removed the excluders from both on first site of a swarm cell, and cut them out, but they both still swarmed. Unfortunately I wasn't home when either one did. I know for sure one hive hatched a queen, don't think other one has yet. Were still cells in it yesterday and no eggs, so left alone and waiting hopefully to see eggs in a couple of weeks. Good luck!

When I first got my hives, I had nothing to compare with to determine queen right or queenless.

My mentor helped me alot.

What is the attitude of your hive when you take the top off? Are they anxious, fly quickly and bump you a lot OR are they all relatively calm, moving across the frames and seem to be busy doing their thing?

That's one of the first ways I check to see if I have a queen. Many times, I can't find her even though I look. The bees themselves will often let you know.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.