Hybrid View

Default Xposted - Pls help new beek diagnose dead larvae

I am finding dead larvae. Still in the cells. Not capped. They are white, but not chalky, not mummified, not glistening. They appear to be dry (not wet and shiny) but not dried out either. The dead white larvae easily fall out of the cell. They look to be stunted - no longer worm-like larvae, but more like a sphere, as if the head only of what would have been the pupae is still present. I saw a worker removing one today, but there is not a collection of removed corpses anywhere. Most of the corpses are still in the cells.

I did find one that appears brown/black, swollen and slimy. But all the others fit the description above.

I have a month old top bar hive, and a three week old queen. No mentor. I would describe the capped cell pattern as somewhat spotty/shotgun.

The bees accepted my new queen three weeks ago. I see her and she appears fine. But I do see two eggs in some cells.

Thank you for any help!

Default Re: Xposted - Pls help new beek diagnose dead larvae

google Sac Brood and Europen Foulbrood.
    Look at the photos and see if either look like what you are seeing. (neither is a bone crusher problem, EFB can be eliminated with antibiotic Terramyacin)
    Sac is a virus but usually is managed by the bees if you feed them.

Also, call your extension agent/state apiarist and see if you can get an inspection. You need to learn what is going on with your colony.

best to you and your bees,
    -E.
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

Default Re: Xposted - Pls help new beek diagnose dead larvae

Thanks, I have emailed my inspector. I sounds most like EFB but my dead larvae are not really consistent with any description I've read so far.