Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Senate Bill 510 - beekeeper thoughts?

12K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  MikeJ 
#1 ·
#3 ·
More unecessary regulation designed to put small guys out of business.
think about it, they write these regs with large corps in mind. They have the funds to implement these regs, small guy doesn't.

Its dang near impossible for a farmer who produces milk, eggs, meat ect to even survive under these regs.

For example, i can sell milk, off of my farm but i can't advertize or deliver. i can't sell cheese that i make from my milk unless i have a dedicated cheese processing building. I can't sell yogurt, or anything other than milk itself.

as for eggs, its getting harder and harder to sell them. Most of us farmers have to sell them as hatching eggs in order to get around all the regs.

Try meat. I can grow it, sell it, but i cannot butcher or kill. IF i make jerky, i can't sell it.

I'm still unable to find out the requirements on me selling honey in kansas.

#6 ·
This Thread has a good chance of turning Tailgaterish. But I'm gonna ask anyway. Which part of the first sentence is a lie?

And what about the rest of the bill? Good thing? Bad thing? Won't effect me? What?

I, for one, have a hard time wading through this sort of thing. And even when I do read even a section, I really don't know what it means in relation to me.

Maybe someone would take a section and tell me what it means or should mean to me.

#9 ·
I was going section by section. It got to be to much. Almost as bad as reading the original.
So I sum it up.

HHS (working with just about every other government org., including homeland security) will set rules and guidelines for processing, holding, transporting and importing of foods. HHS will also try to do more inspections of imports. HHS will setup some way to track foods. HHS will be able to give money to local goverment and indian tribes to comply and setup the stuff they need to obey these laws. Money will be given to research this stuff.

Processors, holders, importers, etc. will be required to setup their own rules (guided by the HHS) and then keep records on it all. HHS has the right to examine these records.

Schools will be given guidelines on controling food allergies (claim right now it is voluntary). If voluntray - parents are obligated to provide info on their kids food allergies. I believe more money is given.

It keeps going but it is all about tracking foods and making laws on how they can be handled and processed. A lot of it is dealing with in the US. Some then deals with imports. Interestingly HHS is given the right to setup FDA offices in other countries to help them safely import foods into the US.

Labs are organized, etc..

HHS can ask the processor for recalls, then demand it, then just do it (but the processor can have a hearing if they want).

A lot of stuf :)

Then near the end it says...
...nothing in this Act shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the United States is a party.
What did you expect? To understand what they want?
When it comes to bills it isn't so much what it says but what it can mean.

Mike
Section 404 -
Declares that nothing in this Act shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the United States is a party.

#12 ·
Is there anythng specifically bad about this bill? I understand that some have a general distrust of the government and some out-right hate it. But how will this bill directly affect me when I go to sell honey? Specifics, please.

"Why can't these clowns just leave us alone" tells me exactly nothing.

If the bill prevents criminals from deliberately shipping salmonella-tainted peanut butter to kill and sicken children, perhaps there is some merit to what "these clowns" are proposing.

Wayne

#16 ·
Is there anythng specifically bad about this bill?
If the bill prevents criminals from deliberately shipping salmonella-tainted peanut butter to kill and sicken children, perhaps there is some merit to what "these clowns" are proposing.
Last first -
It is already against the law to knowingly sell tainted products. Read it and for each section (that deals with actual laws to protect) think if it is already in place or not.

First - This is not FDA. This is Health and Human Services. They will use FDA, homeland security, and all the other govr. offices. The bill talks of licensing fees and it is not talking about local fees. HHS is said to be the one collecting these fees and fines. So if you are licensed by the state this bill could mean federal licensing.

HHS is to set regulations to govern handling, processing, transporting, importing, etc. for each category of food. They can (by the bill's language) close any processor they feel (bill says something about HHS believes a processor has a good possible chance of causing tainted product) the processing is not good enough.
Processors will be required to use the regulations and guidelines to create handling and process rules for their business (in writing) and then keep records of how this is implemented and records on the functioning. HHS will be able to examine these records at any time.

I think the biggest thing here (I do not know how much federal is currently involved) is that it appears the federal government will be handling licensing, fines and such. I do not know if this is in addition to local licensing or if it only governs interstate processors.

Like I said - A bill make look like it says one thing but you should try to look it overall. What CAN it mean? Remember controversies over does "shall" mean must or may?
I do not hate the government (that is a sin - God says to submit to the powers. He will require it of their hand.) but I also do not trust them. Have they proven themselves trustworthy?

Mike

#13 ·
Well some of the honey houses I've seen we could use a little oversight.

One guy around here extracts outside, in the dust and all, yet can put his product under loan. Same individual contaminated honey with a mite treatment, rejected in Hillsboro, returned to producer, then subsequently sold to a different packer.

#14 ·
in general honey is considered a farm product and governed by the USDA not FDA.

when a honey house starts being used for processing creamed or cooked honey or purchased honey is brought into the mix then you are moving into the FDA area.

right now these bills are proposals and a final version has not been approved.

clearly we have a problem with food safety so that's the role of our government to implement regulations to protect the citizens.

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
Personally the bill IMO is designed to benefit large scale producers. Regulation is not the answer. The govt can't even manage the food inspections it already has to do. If they were doing it, there wouldn't be any ecoli recalls.

As far as honey processing, its a nobrainer on it. Its simple to keep your equipment clean. I am building a block building in preparation of harvesting in a couple years. i choose block cause i can pressure wash it when needed. Stainless sink running water.

extract clean then bottle. quite easy process. If govt gets involved, i'll end up having to put in sprinkler system, restroom, and God only knows what else to comply.

#20 ·
Having not read the bill, only the kingly presented synopsis, I may have an ill formed opinion:

It seams that the domestic honey business is for the most part trouble free. Like mentioned by others, fear of lawsuits tends to keep MOST everyone on the strait and narrow.It seems like this bill is preaching to the choir. Any effort spent on further legislating a group that is basically law abiding is a waste of time

The same cannot be said of foreign honey (and "funny honey") producers. . Their effort would be much better spent down on the docks, tesating incoming honey(?), and stopping the flow of known tainted products. Heck. I bet they could pay for themselves with the collection of tariffs on transshipped honey(?) .

Roland

#26 ·
Its a horrible bill that everyone should take a few minutes to send a letter to their reps and sens to oppose

BUT....has anyone bothered to look at the date of last action?

The bill is likely dead in the water....but lets not forget that while the Federal Gov has a very important job to do....THIS ISN'T PART OF IT.

This kind of bill is the result of Big Gov that reaches beyond the power/auth granted to it.

If we continue to go down the path we're on we will eradicate all small businesses due to rediculous regulations that are expensive, of little value and are impossible to comply with.

Again...its a perfect example of a Solution in search of a Problem

#28 ·
My eyes glazed over pretty quick but I did catch one thing. It exempts farms and restaurants. Aren't we farmers? We manage, transport and care for livestock that forage on open range. We harvest the crop in our honey houses, that comes from the land. It feels a lot like farming to me!

#29 ·
I've been in the business for 30+ years and anytime the goverment get into my business it cost me big money. There is a lot that we can not control, so bee it. We are an industry that has for the most part taken what we can and give everything just to stay in business. The big packer have always shown that they will do whatever they want. I'm just glad I'm not paying .01 a lb for them to do so now.:applause:

#31 ·
Its part of the patriot act and all food processing facilities must have one. 100 lbs
Are you sure its part of the patriot act or is it bioterrorism act of 2002. I Don't think patriot act is involved. The bioterrorism act of 2002 requires you to get a id if you sell to anyone but the end consumer. I.E. sell honey on the side of the road or off your farm, your ok. Sell to a store, or packer you have to give them a means to trace the honey back to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.