Hybrid View

Default Behavior Question

Last night I inspected my hive. I pulled three bars.

When I pulled the first two (#3 & 7, near the entrance) everything was fine. The bees were happy to see me, we had a nice conversation, etc. etc.

When I pulled the last bar (#12 from the entrance) they scrambled the jets. Several bees came flying out at me, and they were ticked off.

No difference as far as I can tell regarding handling.

Any thoughts on what causes the difference in behaviour?

Thanks.

Default Re: Behavior Question

Same thing just happened to me. I'm trying to go without gloves as much as possible. First several bars no problem, then pulled another and four stings on the hand within 5 seconds. I put my gloves on.

This generally happens to me when I inadvertently crush or roll a bee (or bees). However, if the hive has been opened for a prolonged period, the bees may become notably more irritated, with their volume increasing first and then some possibly some attacks taking place!

When examining combs, what are you doing with those you've already inspected? Are you placing them together on the other side of the hive?

Matt

I pull one bar at a time, inspect it, put it back in the same place.

I did notice that on the second bar they had some brace comb that I inadvertently broke when I pulled the bar (a very small amount).

If someone came in to my house and broke one of my walls I'd be pretty ticked I guess.

I know, being new with the bee's, I will never, ever intrude on my girls at night They were extremely ticked off even though I handled the top bars very gently! I have found that I have the best success when inspecting and feeding them around midday. What is funny to me is that I NEVER have several bees buzzing me when they are agitated. It is always one single bee that steadily crashes into my veil !
    "Death smiles at everyone. Marines smile back!"