Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Kosher certified honey

back on topic sort of...............

If something is "contaminated", what is used to clean the equipment?

Is there a kosher certified type of soap or cleaning agent?

Not trying to be a smart butt here, but how far up and/or down the chain do you go in the cleaning process? I can't seem to find a link to that part anywhere.

G3

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms View Post
    ...how far up and/or down the chain do you go in the cleaning process? I can't seem to find a link to that part anywhere.
    If they are following God's Word you will find it in Leviticus 11. You can follow the reference to the other places. This is what kosher is based on. (based).

Mike

I believe part of the certification process involves the Rabbi praying and blessing your equipment. If they allow you to clean an unclean thing, you would likely need to be inspected again, and the Rabbi give a new blessing.

Odds are, it would be much easier to make sure you don't do anything that could make stuff unclean.

GaSteve,

I would contact the "Beefolks" and ask them about the Star-K certification process/cost.

http://www.beefolks.com/shopcontent.asp?type=kosher

The following is the Bee Folk's certification letter:

http://www.beefolks.com/documents/Ko...tification.pdf

From what I read, bees are not Kosher but honey is. Honey would be non-Kosher when adulterated with syrup...

There is a lot of info on the star-k.org website.
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 07-01-2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Removed link
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

There is a link on the page of the link above called "To Bee or Not to Bee: A Kashrus Guide To Honey and Other Bee Products"

It states, "honey is kosher as it is not a secretion from the bee"

The paragraph directly above the one that states "Bees suck nectar from flowers with their proboscis (mouth). The nectar mixes with saliva and is swallowed into the honey sac where enzymes from the saliva break down the nectar into honey."

Is bee "saliva" not a secretion from the bee? Is there no bee "saliva" left in the honey when it is placed into the comb?

Interesting topic.

Recently I heard that all produce, & non changed farm vegetable products are kosher by nature. I would think honey falls under the same category.

Curious if anyone knows if honey can be labeled as kosher, if unadulterated. That is without asking someone for permission.
    Dan

I might have answered my own question.
    http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-palate-honey.htm

If I understand correctly unadulterated honey is kosher, & you wouldn't require permission to label it as such.
    Dan

If I understand correctly unadulterated honey is kosher, & you wouldn't require permission to label it as such.

To be labeled as kosher, it must meet kosher labeling requirements - simply thinking it is kosher is not enough. (You'll get in trouble labeling your garden produce as "organic" if you are not certified organic, even if you garden according to established organic methods.)

Keep in mind that uncapping the honey with an "unclean" knife contaminates the honey, and it is no longer kosher. Keep in mind that processing the honey in the kitchen where pork is cooked contaminates the honey and it is no longer kosher.

Honey inside a hive meets kosher standards, even if it has not been inspected and approved by the rabbi. You "might" be able to get away labeling Ross Rounds or basswood section boxes as kosher without the proper rabbi inspection, but I would not encourage trying it.

If you got caught selling honey labeled as kosher, when it was not certified kosher, I suspect you would never be able to get the kosher stamp of approval in the future. (And even if you did, I doubt any Jew would buy it from you - your reputation would be too tarnished for them to trust you.)