Question Drone populations related to swarming?

I was just wondering does anyone know if there is a relationship between the number of drones in a hive to the propensity of that particular hive to swarm? My thinking is that if drones are present to the hive's level of contentment, that they've succeeded in reproducing on the cheap and keep cruising along. Having said that, someone could easily convince me that a hive with abundant drones will swarm more easily since there is a better chance of mating. Is there a relationship or is this line of thinking a waste of time?

Default Re: Drone populations related to swarming?

No relationship. It's a crap shoot. Some hives will have hundreds of drones, some will have almost none. Place a frame of dedicated drone comb in and you will have thousands. And, if you believe in Nature's propensity for genetic diversity, why would the number of drones in a particular hive have anything to do with that hive's swarming tendency. Diversity is promoted when a queen mates with drones of another lineage, not when inbreeding with drones from her own mother.

I was developing a theory about the same thing. My thinking was that drones might put out a pheromone of their own and when it reached a certain concentration level that it might be a part of the swarm triggers. Well I was proved incorrect by my observation hive that had very few if any drones. They swarmed just the day before I was going to split the hive.They had been building swarm cells so I knew they were going to swarm...just didnt have my date exactly right. There were no drone brood either. There may have been a few drones from my other hives freeloading but nowhere near enough to matter.
    This observation hive was started last spring and had overwintered with the same queen. I know this one incident not definitive but it leads me to believe that drones have little to do with swarms.

Thanks techmant and fish_stix! The naked truth is a beautiful thing. Especially when it can free up the mind to focus on more productive pursuits.

Drones exist solely for the continued propagation of the species, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it would be pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Drones exist solely for the continued propagation of the species, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it would be pure speculation.
    jmgi thanks much... no I'm pretty sure I got that.. I was just wondering if it had a direct correlation to the other propagation activity.. swarming

Certainly the time of year they raise drones is the time of year they swarm... not an accident, I don't think, but not a direct cause either...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF