Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool Re: Painting Bee Hives

i used an exterior primer and then spray painted my horizontal hives with different exterior colors for a camoflage look.

Default Re: Painting Bee Hives

I got some Sherwin Williams Duration about a week ago. Put my first coat on, let it dry and cure for a full 48 hours, then stacked them up to move them outside for a second coat. When I went to separate them (bottoms, tops, mediums) the stuck together, peeled off, and blistered.

I started the second coat, but I guess I should wait a full couple of weeks before I stack/add another coat. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    I started the second coat, but I guess I should wait a full couple of weeks before I stack/add another coat. Lesson learned.
    Try Wax Paper. I like oops paint myself.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerboy View Post
    I don't paint anything anymore. I doubt the increased life span is worth the cost of the paint, and I know it isn't worth my time.
    Me neither, since I needed some deep hive bodys quick for some exploding nucs, I decided to get cypress. After buying them and a sbb I realized that it is not worth the time and expense of painting. I will from now on use cypress, which will last practically forever without paint.
    When I have to repaint what I already had, if I do it, I will definetly try to get oops paint, and my wife would like pink, so maybe the girls that live within might too.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I have used semi-gloss exterior paint, because its more durable than the flat.
    However I have been thinking that semi-gloss may trap more moisture in the winter months as it cannot "breathe" as well as the flat paint.
    Anyone tested paints vs moisture ?

BF BM
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JOHN F. KENNEDY -

{valleyman Me neither, since I needed some deep hive bodys quick for some exploding nucs, I decided to get cypress. After buying them and a sbb I realized that it is not worth the time and expense of painting. I will from now on use cypress, which will last practically forever without paint.}

Not sure where your wood came from but, the cypress we get in this area does't last like it use to.

It's like beekeeping....location, location, location. The best wood to use is the wood that lasts longest in your area. I use cedar up here in the PNW and it lasts just about forever but I doubt it would last in Florida. Completely different conditions.

suncoast,
    The cypress that we use comes fom Florida I'm sure. Say it doesn't last like it used to? I was under the impression it is a non rot wood like our red cedar or locust here locally is. The problem with the red cedar is it contains too much white streaks which rots really quick. I have never seen locust lumber for sale anywhere. I think because it's not a very straight growing tree and not suitable for lumber.
    Jeff,
    your western red cedar is differient from ours.

Being an ex-painter, base coats of primer usually make the huge difference. I typically put 3 coats of primer, 2 coats, sometimes 3 good exterior paint, not the $$$$. Yes a little time consuming, however will protect the boxes pretty well.

Colors is my question?

What are the typical colors (I know white), but what other colors do people use,,,,,and what colors do you not use (not use put why).

Valleyman, just a guess, but I'm thinking locust is just to hard on a saw blade to make lumber. I have seen sparks coming from my chainsaw while cutting for firewood. Makes great firewood but wow how it dulls the chain in a hurry.

Paronoid beek,
    I agree, that was in my mind that locust is hard and tough and might dull a sawmill blade quick. Hedgeapple or ironwood is tough also. I guess you'll can tell I hate to paint!!!

CA, as far as colors go, I have tried several colors on hives and nucs. The white is a classic color, and probably to be recommended if you are in a sun-drenched, hot climate. I also have in current usage several other colors: blue, green, off-white (cream), and a rose-tinted pink. They all work well for me here in middle-TN (where we just broke our state's record for days above 90 degrees). Even the darker colors don't seem to have a negative effect on the bees. In fact, I think the rainbow of colors may help prevent drifting. Frankly, my color choices are driven by availability of "oops" or mistinted paint at one of the local building supply stores, where they usually sell for $5 bucks. I just look for exterior semi-gloss in a reasonably light color.

I also use the oops paint and around here there are locations that we take our house hole trash that that recycle old pant that you can get for free enough coats is all it takes color make it a hippie bee yard

Returns at Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart work good too, quality paint at half the cost

Regarding color, I tend toward a shade of green, so my hives blend in with vegetation...not as noticeable, thus a bit of a theft deterrent. I hope.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherA View Post

What are the typical colors (I know white), but what other colors do people use,,,,,and what colors do you not use (not use put why).
    Here is a response from Dr. Tarpy at the NCSU Entomology Lab:

so. We paint our hive bodies different colors (based on the queen color year when we first construct them), then the hives become a random assortment of different red, green, blue, yellow, and white box combinations.
    I began using the method. I like it alot, as you get a random assortment of five different colors on the hives. This allows the bees to orient to their own hives easier and creates less drifting. Additionally, it's easier to tell your equipment from someone else's, and it can help gauge how old the equipment is. Probably won't give you a spot on year when you built it, but it will help you know if it's 5 years old, 10 years, ect.

I go with lighter colors of the five queen colors. This year I painted my built equipment a light sky blue, and I have a white standing by for next year.

All of my hives are stained. I am starting 4 new hives and wanted to paint them. Depending on location, it there a reason to choose dark colors in full sun in the north or does it really matter?

You will bee better of with lighter colours.

In the summer dark hives will beecome to hot in the sun = the wax might melt , or the bees will spend a lot of there time to try to cool down the hive and ventilate excess heat. = Less honey for you

mvh edward

If your hives are out in the country away from observation (by you or friend) you might want to paint them to blend in with their surroundings... make them less conspicuous to vandals and thieves.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    You could go that route...or I go down to the Lowes and check out the "oops" paint shelf. I get $25 exterior paint for 5 bucks a gallon..color is not really an issue although I did pass on the bright pink!!
    I picked up the bright pink and purple. There are mainly girls living in there anyway