Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Painting Bee Hives

I am currently using a dark green 30 year fence stain. The solar gain in the late fall before they are wrapped seems to help. It was $5 at the Habitat for Humanity Store.

The best method I have found for painting is to place a 8' iron pipe on two saw horse. You can paint all the edges and outside of a super without having to rest any wet paint on the ground. They can dry in the air and then are ready for a second coat.
    Backyard beekeeping and honey bees.
    www.BlueLineApiary.com

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    I go down to the Lowes and check out the "oops" paint shelf.
    Same here and color is no prob for me. I kind of like the way my hives are different.

Mike

Big Grin Re: Painting Bee Hives

IF you are into photography, and many of us new beekers are, white does a fine job of accenting the bees in photos. I think I took close to a 500-700 photos this summer alone. Colored hives look cute, but if your after clarity, you can't beat white.

I paint my honey supers a honey yellow. After all what is life with out some whimsy?
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Just a note if any of you guys were thinking of using Tung Oil or Linseed Oil as "honeybeekeeper" had mentioned, be super careful because this stuff is extremely flamable. Don't want someone out in their shop using Tung oil next to a space heater or stove... the flash is exciting but the bang screws up my hearing for days...
    Clark - Aubrey, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkp View Post
    Just a note if any of you guys were thinking of using Tung Oil or Linseed Oil as "honeybeekeeper" had mentioned, be super careful because this stuff is extremely flamable. Don't want someone out in their shop using Tung oil next to a space heater or stove... the flash is exciting but the bang screws up my hearing for days...
    The flash point for straight Linseed Oil is around 430F to 500F depending on the source so it's pretty safe stuff. Unless you're running a refinery you aren't going to get a flash and bang with Linseed Oil!
    Last edited by greengecko; 12-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Please don't leave your oily rags in a pile either. They will create heat and cause a fire. Don't ask how I know this. Just trust me it can happen.

Spontaneous combustion is no joke.

I'm a professional painter, and a few years back, while I was out-of-state, our studio burned to the ground. The cause? Spontaneous combustion of evaporating solvents.

As far as paint choices go, I always advise people to use the best paint they can afford. And don't rush the job. A poor prep job equals a poor paint job. And you don't gain anything by not allowing paint to cure (not just dry, but really harden) between layers. Winter is a great time to get hive bodies painted!

I went to Lowes last Fri., and found a gallon of Cabot oops stain and sealant. It is light brown. Will be my first time with stain and oil based, but I don't forsee any problems. $5.00 for a top quality stain.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I have used the White roof coating which happens seems to work pretty good. Can't say how well it will last but it should as it is for roofs. Got mine from Lowe's.

Kilz barn paint, prime n paint all at the same time. Cheap too.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

I used a low VOC or non-VOC paint myself. I also just paint the corners of my hive boxes just like my teacher, Serge Labesque, does. I am in a more temperate climate.

Nanotechnology.
    Take a look at Duramax paint with nanotchnology.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Ooops paint here from my local Lowes. Usually stick to the exterior browns, creams and white's at $5.00 a gallon it's pretty much a no brainer. When I use up about half a can pour some similiar color or shade in and most of our hives are the beige/cream to off white color. I am considering moving a few to an outyard at my Mother's farm 250 miles away and may go camo to help them blend in somewhat. Noone to check on them for weeks at a time. Tim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123