Default How To Light A Smoker That Stays Lit

Beginning beekeepers often complain of their frustration in keeping their smoker staying lit. Here is a short clip of how I light my smoker, and it stays lit for hours.

First, get a nice fire going. Snuff the flames out by packing fuel in tightly. Pump the bellows to build good embers in the packed fuel, and the fuel will then smolder all day instead of quickly burning out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzVsES2H2Zs

Default Re: How To Light A Smoker That Stays Lit

Thanks!

That was very helpful.

TP

Thanks, I'll give it a try

MB

Very nice.
    I just don't have any of those materials readily available for me.
    Just put a bunch of twigs, weeds, old grass, leaves... works about the same.

Stan

I only have two hives... To get good smoke like in the video, do I have to fill the smoker full, or is there another way?

Larry

Thanks for the video Countryboy, I have the awfullest time trying to keep mine burning, its usually going really well when I'm ready to quit! I didn't realize you need to pack it in so tight, I'm going to try it out in the morning, Thanks again.
    Mike , Proverbs 24:13-14 Eat honey, my son, for it is good; honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.

Yeah mike you need to put some of them wood shavings in there and pack it alil...If you pack it all the way it will last all day...I just pack mine half way since i only need a few hrs....Good Luck!!!!

Nice video, I'll pass it on to a friend of mine since she always has problems wit her's back in Tenn.

C2

I tried it today using cedar chips, works great, never went out one time and plenty of smoke when you want it. Thanks again.
    Mike , Proverbs 24:13-14 Eat honey, my son, for it is good; honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.

Hi,
    Just a couple of things I would throw out there.
    1. The light came on for me when it was stated that it was like smoking a pipe, a full tamped bowl won't burn your lips. (in this case your bees).
    2. A cork in the top spout, and laying your smoker on its side will usually put out even the smoldering fuel, ready to be lit the next time. Do be sure it is cold to the touch before puting it in your trunk, back porch, etc. I leave mine on the concrete out back over night just in case.
    Happy beekeeping, JA.

I only have two hives... To get good smoke like in the video, do I have to fill the smoker full, or is there another way?

In my experience, if you don't have the smoker fuel packed tightly, it either burns up really fast, or it goes out. For me, it's easier to pack the fuel tightly if I fill the smoker at least half full. Even if the smoker starts out half full, the fuel often gets looser from handling the smoker. I generally fill the smoker up, even if I am only going to use it for 5 minutes. I can snuff the smoker out, and then reuse the fuel the next time I light it.

A cork in the top spout, and laying your smoker on its side will usually put out even the smoldering fuel, ready to be lit the next time.

A wadded up plug of green grass works great to plug up the smoker spout.

I have also heard of people keeping a 3/4 inch bolt handy to stick in the smoker spout as a plug.