Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey price

36K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  wdcrkapry205 
#1 ·
I live in South Carolina. I have another beekeeper who want's to buy my honey by the 5 gallon bucket. How do I figure out the right and fair price to sell my honey to him? Thanks in advance for any advice you give me. Anna

#2 ·
Tell him $180.00 and when he chokes ask him to suggest a price and go from there. But don't go less than $120.00. It cost you at least $1.00 per pound to produce it.

A course, if you don't think it is worth that much, neither will he. Be prepared to walk away.

#3 ·
oh I will, I really don't want to sell it that way. I like to give my honey away to family and friends, and to people I meet in my life. Like the girl working the gas station who's had a bad day and maybe the little old man who sits in his yard every day waving at everyone who goes by.
But the guy is just about begging me to sell him my honey so I though I'd see what would be a fair price.

#5 ·
Begging? Maybe I was too low.

I understand that you want to share your honey w/ those you love and those who you wish to have a better day, but do they really appreciate it as much as you do? I don't like seeing people give honey away. It kinda devalues it. Family and close friends, I can see dressing up a cpl of jars so they look really nice and special for Xmas or B'day presents, but the girl at the check out counter? Eh, no. But that is just me. Do what makes you feel good I say.

#7 ·
It is our responsibility to educate them. And the best way to do that is to put a high price on your honey and when they ask why this honey, your honey, is so much higher in price than some other honey you can tell them what it took to make it and then they will know. They may still buy the cheaper stuff, but at least they will know.

But, if you don't think it is better, don't know that it is better, neither will they. Sell your honey. Your bees worked too hard to just give it away. If they ever found out they would just stop making it for you.

Now I'm going to go raise my prices again. And sell even more honey.

#8 ·
Well I didn't mean to devalue other beekeepers honey. lol and it's not as if I'm just hauling my honey around giving it away to everyone I meet. I know just how hard my bees and myself work for the honey. I know this other bk and his bees just aren't making that much honey, where in my bees case they are. I say please do sell your honey for what you can get for it, but know that the fairer you are to people the more repeat customer you will have. Good luck to everybody.

#12 ·
Retail ALWAYS outsells whole sale.
Nice site! :)
Now does your internet sales really sell a lot of honey at 10 bucks a pound??
I couldn't get that price here locally. Got too many other bee keepers that dump their honey cheap.

I was thinking about setting up 5 gal tins in healthfood stores with taps on them so folks can fill the 1pound cartons that would be provided with them. Not sure how that will go. But it is much cheaper as i don't have bottling costs.

#11 ·
I love selling it but I hate to see it go if you know what I mean. Im at 15 qt which is low. It goes quick. Yeah and I agree. I am a very generous person I think,but honey is honey. I put alot of work and money in it and Im very proud of what I sell. Even my best friend comes off the hip. CU Peace Dave

#14 ·
All the local honey out here sells for $10 a pound. One grocery store sells a local guys honey for $20 a pound.

Some of the internet sites I've check start at $8, & up for a pound. Many of those sellers are back east.

These are retail prices, & don't really answer you're question.

#16 ·
We polled members at the last Ks. Honey Producers Assn. meeting this March. Prices were all over the place as one would expect, with marked differences from western Ks. to eastern parts of the state. One would think the more populated areas, where the wealth seems to be also that honey would be geneally a little more costly. The opposite was true- honey is more rare a commodity in the western half of our state. 5 gal container prices was not of discussed in our retail price question at teh KHPA meeting, so I have no comparison for others in our region.

We sell 5 gal @ $150, plus a deposit for those bucket containers with a fitted valve.

#17 ·
He's going to buy from you, and then bottle and sell it more than likely at $3 a pound, plus the cost of the jars he uses... From what I've heard, beeks have been getting an average of $1.60 per pound wholesale. Some more, some less. I personally won't sell any honey unless I can NET $3 a pound, or more. That is what seems to be fair around here... some folks elsewhere get much more than that. Cost of living, apparently.
Regards,
Steven

#18 ·
Anna,

Dont give away your honey.. Well let me clarify. If you want to give it away... do so (friends family etc.) but if you are going to sell it.. get a fair price.

This other person is begging to buy your honey (hopefully cheap) because he can make a big profit off it.. he isnt doing it to help you out. Unless you desperately need the money... I wouldnt take a dime under $170 a bucket...if you dont get it now... you can later in the year.

Dont let people cajole you into selling too cheaply...even if they dont mean too.. they will be taking advantage of you.. :)

Charlotte

#19 ·
I have a little story to tell you..actually two short stories

1. Our greek friends wanted to help in the honey house one day. Mrs. Greek came over and spent the day with me extracting. When she went back to the city she told her friends to never balk at my price or any other producer's price. She told them how hard extracting was.

2. I had bought some queens from the bee supply in the city. Mrs Greek was coming to the lake so she said she would pick them up. When she signed the reciept, she saw the price of the the queens...and she was stunned that this small package cost so much. Her words were..."you do not charge enough for your honey.

My point is add up all your costs, and figure out what your average yield per hive is, get a price, add a profit margine...go from there. Remember that price is just to get the honey into the tank, not the bottle

#21 ·
In my earlier days, I was in the position of needing extra honey to keep my regular customers happy. I paid anywhere from $60 to $90 for a five gallon bucket...it was a long time ago. I was humbled by the generosity of those larger beekeepers who helped me extend my selling season and retain my customer base.

Now I've got some local beekeepers needing honey for the same purpose. I balance my generosity at $125 to $150 for the bucket with my potential of $3 a pound retail sales. And I need to make sure I can still take care of my regular outlets. I was once in need and if I have it available, I'd like to return the favor.

I figure if I charged more, those other beekeepers would have to charge more when they bottled it and resold it to make a profit. A rising tide would float all boats. Or they could tell me, "no thanks, not at that price."

I don't have to discount my honey and sell it by the bucket to move my product. I usually just barely make it from one year to the next subsequent harvest.

All the best,

Grant
Jackson, MO

#22 ·
We are the 5 gallon buckets for $300 a bucket. We sell some... not a lot. Thats ok becauce I can bottle it in one pount containers and get $600 for the bucket! :)

Internet sales do great. People from all parts of the US order which is awesome. Just got an order from NY and Florida today. I think it's about providing an array of products that will see. And when I mean an array, I mean high quaility things like creamed honey.... stuff you dont see much anymore.

#23 ·
I know folks who are based in the Northeast but winter in Florida. I sometimes buy honey from them in barrels. I was just offered barrels of pepperbush for $1.30 a pound and barrels of Palmetto for $1.30, both FOB Fort Meyers. I have samples and they are ok as to color and taste.

I have no idea what 'the market' is, but because this has been offered to me my guess is that it is a lot higher than what folks like Leighton and Dutch Gold will pay. Anyone have any idea what 'the market' is for these honeys?

#29 ·
I just read the post from the lady in Welford about the honey.I am the person that wanted to buy her honey ,i ask her to give me a price for it.I would have paid upward of $100.00 for a bucket. I made a deal with a produce market to supply local honey to him. I am sure that you guys that sell honey to local company like to keep your customer happy so that will call you back when they run out. also just for your information to those people that responded negative about this, I have purchased honey from this lady for she is a friend of mine also when she need help or advise about her bee or supply she call me and we work together,for the benefit of the bees. She is a member of the beekeepers club in Spartanburg SC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.