Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey price

Default Re: Honey price

In my earlier days, I was in the position of needing extra honey to keep my regular customers happy. I paid anywhere from $60 to $90 for a five gallon bucket...it was a long time ago. I was humbled by the generosity of those larger beekeepers who helped me extend my selling season and retain my customer base.

Now I've got some local beekeepers needing honey for the same purpose. I balance my generosity at $125 to $150 for the bucket with my potential of $3 a pound retail sales. And I need to make sure I can still take care of my regular outlets. I was once in need and if I have it available, I'd like to return the favor.

I figure if I charged more, those other beekeepers would have to charge more when they bottled it and resold it to make a profit. A rising tide would float all boats. Or they could tell me, "no thanks, not at that price."

I don't have to discount my honey and sell it by the bucket to move my product. I usually just barely make it from one year to the next subsequent harvest.

All the best,

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

We are the 5 gallon buckets for $300 a bucket. We sell some... not a lot. Thats ok becauce I can bottle it in one pount containers and get $600 for the bucket!

Internet sales do great. People from all parts of the US order which is awesome. Just got an order from NY and Florida today. I think it's about providing an array of products that will see. And when I mean an array, I mean high quaility things like creamed honey.... stuff you dont see much anymore.
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I know folks who are based in the Northeast but winter in Florida. I sometimes buy honey from them in barrels. I was just offered barrels of pepperbush for $1.30 a pound and barrels of Palmetto for $1.30, both FOB Fort Meyers. I have samples and they are ok as to color and taste.

I have no idea what 'the market' is, but because this has been offered to me my guess is that it is a lot higher than what folks like Leighton and Dutch Gold will pay. Anyone have any idea what 'the market' is for these honeys?

about right on the pepper, i got $1.30 for it last year, i know others who sold it for $1.20. Palmetto should be a little higher maybe in the ballpark of $1.40-$1.45.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Re: Honey price

I tried selling locally on Craigslist but did not get any takers at $10 per 3 pound jar or $150 per 5gal bucket=60pounds. Probably have to go lower in the price, which I hate to do.
    5-8 hives

how many pounds in a 5 gallon bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by shoefly View Post
    $150 per 5gal bucket=60pounds. .
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

jeeeesh........cant believe I missed that

I just read the post from the lady in Welford about the honey.I am the person that wanted to buy her honey ,i ask her to give me a price for it.I would have paid upward of $100.00 for a bucket. I made a deal with a produce market to supply local honey to him. I am sure that you guys that sell honey to local company like to keep your customer happy so that will call you back when they run out. also just for your information to those people that responded negative about this, I have purchased honey from this lady for she is a friend of mine also when she need help or advise about her bee or supply she call me and we work together,for the benefit of the bees. She is a member of the beekeepers club in Spartanburg SC.

Monk, I hope after reading the above posts, that this year will become much more profitable for you.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

I asked this question about two months ago what are the packers paying for honey? I know the obvious "what ever the market will bear", I get ABJ , Bee Culture and the USDA honey market report but would like to here more from the producers .

I have a couple 55 gallon drums of honey that I will have left over this year. By left over, I mean that I will have more than I need to sell to our customers that we bottle for (both wholesale and retail) between now and next honey harvest (2011).

There are only three options available for "excess" honey:

1. Sell it to packers ($1.30 to $1.50 per pound right now; if they are actually buying it),
    2. Sell it to small beekeepers getting started in 5 gallon buckets, or
    3. Give it away (yeah, right)

Our prices for our wholesale average about $5.25 per pound. Our prices for retail average $10 per pound. Ideally, we can sell exactly what we produce at Retail. That doesn't exactly work out... yet. Our second best option would be to sell both retail and wholesale (at $5.25 per pound)... that doesn't exactly work out yet.

Basically, when you have honey left over, as a business, you should sell it. I have a multiple choice quiz for you with the above as questions. Which option above gives you the best price:

1. Sell it to packers - $1.50 per pound?
    2. Sell it to small beekeepers - $2.08 per pound?
    3. Give it away - $0.00 per pound?

Answer: #2 sell it to smaller beekeepers to resell!!!

Also, by selling it to smaller beekeepers and treating them fairly, then they can turn around in later years and sell you some honey if you came up short one year. In addition, they can buy bees, pollen, propolise, etc. from you down the road and they can also tell their friends about your services, etc.

It's good business sense to sell in the bucket. We sell it for $125 for a 5 gallon bucket (with the bucket returned later). Next year, I will sell them for $150 per bucket ($2.50 per pound).

w3b's:

Option d is to hang on to it. It does not go bad unless high moisture. You may need it because your next year crop could be short. Between now and then you may pick up a wholesale account or two. You may not be looking for them but they might be looking for you. Then if you have honey you have options.

I sell alot of honey to smaller beekeepers. They tend to appreciate the product more than say a large packer.

Jean-Marc

This is a culture shock. I buy a 30 lb case of five pound jars for $55.00 from a commercial beekeeper and I thought that was plenty. And it is good water white alfalfa honey! When I last sold honey in the early 80's, I got $1.25 for an 8oz bear, $1.75 for a pint, $3.00 a quart, $10.00 for a gallon and $45 for a five gallon bucket! The wholesale was in the high fifty cents and I figured I was getting a fine markup over that in a 55gallon barrel. I sold about thirty percent of my crop at farmers markets that way and I was competitive with what others were charging. Maybe I will be able to pay for $85 packages! But, if I feel like giving it away, and I will; I will. People who eat honey buy honey. It is not a zero sum game, you increase overall consumption in my opinion.
    Last edited by Vance G; 01-25-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I put it in the wrong place

Just a note Sam's Club is retailing 5lb containers of honey for $11.00 in our area.

Where is the honey from?

I believe the current brand they are carrying is Sue Bee, for all apparent purposes a reputable brand. So it's not "local" honey but commercially purchased and processed.

eric

Sue bee is reputable, a co-op. I think their main problem is one of having to blend to much dark honey into the mix to utilize their members production.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Sue bee is reputable, a co-op. I think their main problem is one of having to blend to much dark honey into the mix to utilize their members production.
    At the risk of stirring things up I believe that Vance's statement is pretty much on the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Where is the honey from?
    We have a 5 lb container of it at the house. It lists 5 other countries on the package other than the US.

I can post the countries tonight when I get home.

ETA:
    Countries listed on Sam's Club "Baker's & Chef's" brand honey
    USA, Argentina, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, India & Uruguay
    Last edited by FarmerJ; 02-25-2011 at 02:41 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast