Thread: Honey price

Hybrid View

Default Honey price

I live in South Carolina. I have another beekeeper who want's to buy my honey by the 5 gallon bucket. How do I figure out the right and fair price to sell my honey to him? Thanks in advance for any advice you give me. Anna

Default Re: Honey price

Tell him $180.00 and when he chokes ask him to suggest a price and go from there. But don't go less than $120.00. It cost you at least $1.00 per pound to produce it.

A course, if you don't think it is worth that much, neither will he. Be prepared to walk away.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

oh I will, I really don't want to sell it that way. I like to give my honey away to family and friends, and to people I meet in my life. Like the girl working the gas station who's had a bad day and maybe the little old man who sits in his yard every day waving at everyone who goes by.
    But the guy is just about begging me to sell him my honey so I though I'd see what would be a fair price.

my guess is he's heard of your generosity and mistaken it for lack of appreciation for the value of your honey, and hopes to capitalize on that.
    hope i'm wrong,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Begging? Maybe I was too low.

I understand that you want to share your honey w/ those you love and those who you wish to have a better day, but do they really appreciate it as much as you do? I don't like seeing people give honey away. It kinda devalues it. Family and close friends, I can see dressing up a cpl of jars so they look really nice and special for Xmas or B'day presents, but the girl at the check out counter? Eh, no. But that is just me. Do what makes you feel good I say.

I've always said if you could get 20.00 a quart it would still be a bargain. People have no idea what it takes to produce a jar of honey.

It is our responsibility to educate them. And the best way to do that is to put a high price on your honey and when they ask why this honey, your honey, is so much higher in price than some other honey you can tell them what it took to make it and then they will know. They may still buy the cheaper stuff, but at least they will know.

But, if you don't think it is better, don't know that it is better, neither will they. Sell your honey. Your bees worked too hard to just give it away. If they ever found out they would just stop making it for you.

Now I'm going to go raise my prices again. And sell even more honey.