Default Honey House set up - resources anyone?

Hi Folks!
    We are beginning our own beekeeping operation after 12 years of buying honey to make mead.
    I have not been having a lot of luck finding resources on how to set up a honey house. The equipment I think we have covered, though more info is always better!
    We are looking specifically for layout plans with regards to flow, storage, drainage and electrical needs (I know that this is equip. dependant). Are there any resources shy of a consulting firm to help us set up our new production?
    We will have about 50 hives or so in the next two years and may expand to having 100+
    Thanks All!

Default Re: Honey House set up - resources anyone?

do you have a state/county ag agent? ours are very helpful.
    good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Honey house set up is a little more individual based on a lot of factors, one of the most important being how much $$ you want to spend, and how much room you have to operate. On a tight budget extraction for 50-100 hives can be accomplished with minimal equipment, but a lot of work and time. By increasing the money you spend on equipment you save time and labor. My suggestion is to call MAXANT and speak with them about your needs... they have great equipment, great personalized service, and the knowledge from years of helping people set things up based on their needs and budget.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

There is some good information in Reader's Digest Back to Basics..

If you will be producing honey to sell ( above and beyond your needs for mead making ), then do make sure that your facility meets the statutory requirements for food processing. It is cheaper to do it right the first time.

Lets see... 100 hives @ 100lbs/hive = 10,000 lbs = 833 gallons

I heard Kim Flottum give an excellent talk at an ABF conference. He says to make your plans, then double the size, volume, and yes, cost. Any plans you make will inevitably be outdated. Plan, plan and plan for expansion and increased storage, etc.

I'm in the process of trying to build for the future and I'm building bigger than I need now, anticipating more needs later.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

100, hives How many gallons of mead do you make a year?

being a small operation I don't have a honey house.
    I use the kitchen at a friends Pizza shop.
    It is inspected/certified.

I bring my equipment and extract/bottle and leave.

Bill

We may be making several thousand cases a year though not all with our own honey. We will still be buying to diversify our inventory. Every honey makes a very different mead. Variety is the spice of life!
    The advice to double what the initial plan is, is sound advice. Better to be able to handle more, than to not have the right stuff!