Default Good To Bee here

I started an observation hive (eight frame) with my home schooling class this spring. I am a newbee for sure and know next to nothing but am learning little by little. I am very encouraged to have the opportunity to learn from the wisdom that I have found on this site.

I started with this hive and caught the bug, I want more hives. I live in a community with about 40 other people and we use honey as our primary sweetener -- which I think beekeeping will be a great reality check on our consumption (beyond price) to see what really goes into producing it.

I live in a city (small "green" city) in New York, flowers everywhere. My bees are doing well, as far as I can tell. The children and I are learning a lot about their behavior and habits...

I am attempting to recover some bees from a fallen tree right now...they were going to be exterminated but the man asked me if I wanted them -- I am learning a lot from reading past forum entries.

Thanks for the willingness to share -- Yonah

Default Re: Good To Bee here

get a regular lang hive for your trap out and try to get refrences for swarm calls- an OB is the hardest way to start as they are so small the bees dont have extra resources if they need'em for any reason.
    good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I do have a regular lang hive out there and set up a trap out this morning before they were a flyin. The man is wanting to buck up the tree at some point -- so waiting 30 days as some trap out posts suggest isn't going to be an option. I am wondering if I should do the trap out to get some of the bees then get out my bee vac and cut it open, recover the rest with the comb?

I will probably make a lot of mistakes too.

Thanks for the reply, someone once told me "A smart person learns from his own mistakes, a wise man from others."
    Last edited by Yonah; 06-22-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: bad spelling

One other question -- what did you mean by references? Thank You -- Yonah

try to get the hollow part cut out of the tree and put it on a trailor and bring it home to get the bees at your leisure.
    2. i was trying to spell references. what i meant was call your local exterminators, county ag agent, police and fire depts. animal control, whomever you can think of that someone might call about bee swarms or bee removal and have them "refer" those calls to you.
    good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Great advice -- Thanks

If you could cut the hollow section in half when he cuts it down, you can take them home that day or the next. Cut above and below the hollow, cut the trunk in half, cut the comb from the trunk, transfer it to your hive. If you can wait until dark to move your hive, you will get most or all the bees.

Thanks -- The tree is already fallen -- I am going to do what you suggested -- Yonah