Default Hello from Topeka, KS

Hello all, I've been lurking this forum for about 3 years, trying to learn all I could before I started out. I found out that the more you learn, the more questions you have! I've also tapped out all the books in our Public Library, and I ordered a 1963 copy of the ABCs & XYZs and read it cover to cover (a lot of neat old pictures in it, model T trucks loaded w/hives, etc.)

I took the plunge this year and installed 2 package colonies, 1 in a TBH and one in 8-frame mediums. I just did a full inspection of both hives over the weekend, and they seem to be building up well (lots of capped brood & honey/syrup/pollen.) And I got by with no stings at all; wore a homemade veil with a long sleeved shirt and no gloves.

I would like to thank the community that has educated & entertained me over the last three years, and I look forward to possibly contributing in the future.

Default Re: Hello from Topeka, KS

Welcome and congratulations. A few new threats have entered the United States since that edition was printed. Small hive beetles seem to be the most devastating threat this year.