Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Split a First Year Colony in a TBH?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Adam Foster Collins 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if it's wise to split a strong colony in a TBH at this point in the year. Would it be wise to try and build up two colonies before the onset of cold weather? Or should I just let this one alone and see how it does?

Thanks,

Adam

#3 ·
I have the same question. I have 2 new TBH's this year. Both of them are 36" long and both are almost completely built out. I only have 5 available bars in one (which they are starting to work on) and 6 in the other hive and they are starting in on those as well. We are right in the middle of our main flow and I too was wondering if I should split or not. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to worry about overcrowding until next year. Suggestions?

Mike

#4 ·
Mike,
This is why I like a 4 foot hive. I don’t know much about your season out there but if you have a good flow going and it will last for awhile you could do splits. I know people that are splitting right now in my area so you should be safe. If you are a feeder, splitting is less a problem. Try to find someone out that way to help you. Do you have hives for splitting? If not you could build a 4 foot hive. If I were splitting and had bees to do it I would split during early swarm season or May in my area. My personal season for fooling with bees is about over; I have 2 baited colonies to transfer into hives within the next few days and that’s it for me. The only thing for me now is honey. So with that said, here is what I would do. I would look in to see what was going on with those last few bars. If I felt they were in danger of filling the box, I would look for some capped honey to remove to make room. You could pull honey bars and save them to put back if they need it or keep them for Mike. I would stick with what I posted previously for Adam; I would rather have one strong colony going into winter that two that I might have to feed. Then next spring I would do my splitting. To both of you I must say; I don’t feed. You guys might feed and that changes the way folks manage their bees.

#5 ·
Thanks for 'taking the cheese". I thought it was a pretty basic question, so I was surprised it took so long.

Thanks. I think I'll let them alone. I have a four foot hive with 31 bars. There are 6 or so left. I'm going to watch for capped honey and make room that way.

There's a ton of bees in there, and we've got white clover everywhere right now. They're putting a lot away at the moment.

Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.