Hybrid View

Default installing swarm in my first TBH

Good day! I picked up a swarm LATE last night and will be installing them in my first TBH this morning. I received the swarm call yesterday morning, but was out of town so couldn't get to them until about 9ish. Luckily, they were still there, but the little spruce branch they landed on had broke by that time and they were all in a pile in the grass. I wasn't sure how I was going to go about getting them in the box, but they sort of made the decision for me. The mass of bees started migrating across the grass to the left, so I laid the box on edge in front of them and, voila, they moved right in.

SO! Getting to the point, I'm really excited to finally having bees in my TBH. This is a new adventure for me

Default Re: installing swarm in my first TBH

Enjoy your top bar hive and new swarm. I got a swarm 6-9-2010 and they are busy building up. Fastest builders so far as far as initial startup. I contribute this do to the swarm being very large and the temperatures are much warmer than in April.

I am also pleased that I have a different color of honey bee. I started out with Italians this year and believe my swarm is Carniolan.

Thanks Findlaybee. I'm happy to hear your bees are doing so well. These bees look like Italians, but the swarm I picked up about a month ago look to me like Carniolans and I am very pleased with how they're building up.

I plan on starting them out with about 8 top bars. Do you think there is anything else I should do? I don't see how this would be any different then putting bees in a Langstroth (as far as installing goes.) I've read a few posts about bees being more likely to abscond in a TBH. I'm not sure how true this is as I have no experience with TBH's thus far.

Check in a couple of days to make sure the comb is in line.

I had problems with the comb the swarm started to build. What they did was start in the back corner and started to build out from the corner diagonally. I cut this comb out and installed some new foundation starter strips and they did a good job building straight the second time around.

Feed feed feed. Remember your swarm is nearly starving.
    Feeding will allow them to build comb.
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com